High Protein Black Bean and Corn Summer Salad
Servings: 2 people
- 1 can black beans (kidney beans also work well! 1 can = 15.5 oz)
- ½ can sweet corn (1 can = 1.75 cups/ 15oz)
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions
- ⅓ cup instant couscous (get the ‘just add water’ variety for quickest results. If you have it/like it then quinoa can also be used here)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp chili flakes (less can be more, so scale down if you don’t want it with much of a kick)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped; dried is fine too)
Prepare the vegetable broth with boiling water. Then pour it over the couscous in a large bowl. Don’t put too much water in - the ideal water level should be just enough to cover the couscous. You can always add more as needed - it’s much harder to take away excess water again.
Chop the spring and red onions into thin half slices.
Chop the garlic (if you’re having it).
Drain and rinse the beans and corn.
After 5 about five minutes the couscous should be ready, so throw in the chopped onions, beans and corn.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika powder, chili flakes and give it all good mix.
Serving: 593g | Calories: 561kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Sodium: 392mg | Potassium: 768mg | Fiber: 18.9g | Sugar: 18.3g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 58.6mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3.4mg