This has been one of our longest recipes in the creation. We’ve been testing various ingredients and methods for weeks now, and it was hard to get these vegan banana pancakes exactly how we wanted them. But we did, and not without a little help.
Tasty, fluffy pancakes without eggs and are difficult to make. They tend to go soft and ‘boring’ in the middle, and they’re usually a pretty poor substitute for real pancakes.
And we were having trouble making good pancakes without eggs and dairy. We tried many replacements – various starches, flax ‘eggs’ (flax seeds mixed with water), expensive flours, with varying results, but none really reached out to us. So we reached out.
We got some fantastic tips from fellow food bloggers, and we’re really grateful. So much of an awesome pancake is in the cooking. We learnt that to cook an amazing vegan pancake there are few must-dos, and they couldn’t be simpler. They are:
- Make sure the batter is smooth.
- Keep the pancakes small and thick.
- Cook on a low-medium heat. Don’t be tempted to go higher.
- Use a non-stick pan.
- Cook with a lid on.
- Flip the pancake when the face-up side begins to bubble.
And that’s it. That’s all there is to it. By following those few easy rules you can have a pancake that tastes awesome alone or with a load of different topping possibilities, is fluffy and pancakey in the middle, is very healthy, and completely vegan.
Who’d have thunk it was so easy?
Health Benefits – Vegan Banana Pancakes
Where to start? Getting a banana down you is never going to hurt – just think of all that lovely fiber and potassium. Fiber makes the world (and our insides) go round – and most people fall well short of the optimal amount (1). Potassium lowers your blood pressure and is great for cardiovascular health. It is also believed to lower cramping in athletes (2).
Oats are awesome too – for a load of reasons – but the one I want to point out here is their blood-sugar stabilising properties.
Starting the day with a good blood-sugar balance is a reward your body will reap for the whole day. The magnesium contained in oats also cuts your risk of type 2 diabetes (3). Great little things really, aren’t they?
And finally, another very important health benefit of these vegan pancakes is one for the health of all those animals not involved. Yep, no animal product even gets close to these delicious banana pancakes. Everyone’s a winner!
Authentic Vegan Banana Pancakes
Authentic Vegan Banana Pancakes. Ready in 20 minutes. Complete with easy to follow cooking instructions compiled by the best vegan pancake makers around!
Put all the items into a large bowl and blend them using a hand blender.
- Spray or drizzle oil in a non-stick pan, and spread around with a paper towel. Heat on a low-medium heat (don’t go higher!).
- Pour in a small amount of the batter. The pancakes should be small and thick (see our pics for an idea).
- Pop a lid on and let the pancake cook gently. When the side facing you starts to bubble, the other side is done. Time to flip! A spatula is easiest.
- Once flipped, let the other side cook too. Have a peek at the underside using the spatula after a minute or so. When it’s nice and brown (but not burnt!) it’s ready. Woo!
- Repeat. If you have a large pan then it’s possible to cook two or three small pancakes at the same time. Alternatively, if you’re feeling particularly flash then you can cook with two pans at the same time too. Serve straight away or stack the pancakes on a plate in a warm oven ‘til you’re ready to eat.
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.