Crowd-Pleasing Potato Gratin (20+40 Min, Vegetarian)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Finding it tough to stay away from meat around Christmas?
Are your friends and family constantly turning their noses up at your suggestions of meat free dishes?
Laughing at your attempt to make vegetarian dishes good enough for the dinner table?
Well, you probably won’t convince your grandma to rethink her food choices. But at least you’ll give your omnivore kin a hard time to focus on meaty dishes when you slap your über awesome potato gratin on the table.
It’s filling, comforting and surprisingly easy to prepare.
Rosemary and potato were clearly made for each other, and that’s where the base taste for this recipe springs from.
The cheese and cream compliment each other excellently and make this a winning vegetarian option for the table.
Health Benefits – Potato Gratin
We plead guilty. This dish isn’t exactly the healthiest food choice. But come on, it’s Christmas time.
A little cheese and creme fraiche just once won’t hurt you. Better be grateful that this potato gratin saves you from getting excluded from the Christmas family dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C
- Grease the oven dish with butter.
- Cut the potatoes into small slices (about 3-4mm will do – the large slicer on one side of a grater works well for this) and spread them in the oven dish
- Sprinkle rosemary, salt, pepper and nutmeg on the potatoes. Be generous with all of it.
- Grate the garlic and sprinkle it evenly on the potatoes as well
- Optional: Get a pot, heat up the cream and throw in the cheese. Wait until the cheese is melted. Then pour evenly over the potatoes.
- Or just pour the cream over without heating up and layer the cheese on top. It will taste similar but not look quite as beautiful.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Check back after 30 minutes to make sure the cheese isn’t burning. If it is, reduce the heat and add an aluminum foil cover for the last 10 minutes.