Find yourself craving a big cheesy, delicious pizza, but don’t want that sluggish feeling you get after over-indulging?
Well, look no further because we have you sorted with this pizza pancake recipe – yes, you heard that right – a pizza made out of pancakes (hallelujah!)
I understand buying a shop-bought pizza is quick, but with this easy-to-follow recipe, you won’t need to spend more than 20 minutes on these beauties – and let’s be honest we’ve all ordered a pizza online and had to wait at least 30 minutes for a cold pizza to finally arrive at our door.
Well, I say NO to cold, boring, and tasteless pizzas and YES to fun, versatile and creative pizza pancakes!
So versatile, you’ll be spoilt for choice
With this recipe, you have an endless choice of flavours. For starters, if you want a healthier alternative to plain flour for the pancake batter, there are so many options for you to try.
For example, rice flour can be a great substitute, especially if you choose to go with wholegrain or brown rice.
Brown rice keeps more of the healthy nutrients our body loves, is high in protein and is also inexpensive to purchase.
Buckwheat flour is another great choice, as it is rich in minerals and antioxidants, which are responsible for many health benefits such as helping to improve our blood sugar levels and promoting heart health.
And did we mention that both are also high in fibre? This contributes to feeling fuller for longer and helping to keep your motions regular 😉
Plus, both flours are gluten-free, so this is a great meal to cook if you have your gluten-intolerant friends coming over for dinner.
My favourite is to make a half-half base with white and wholegrain flours.
That way you’ll get the taste of white flour and most of the health benefits of wholegrain. Awesome. Pizza pancakes for dinner!
Once you’ve decided on your chosen flour, you can move onto the sauce.
Shop-bought pizzas tend to stick with the original flavours like tomato or BBQ sauce, but now that you’re the chef who’s to say you can’t make your pizza pancakes with a unique base that no one has ever tried before?
You could go all out with a pesto base, a cheesy base, or even a chili base (if you can handle the heat?!)
Now you have your chosen batter and creative base, you can move onto even more fun and choose your toppings!
This completely depends on what YOU like, so if you like a pizza with just one topping, go with that, but if you like a pizza with a hundred toppings, just keep piling ‘em on!
Pizza toppings can range from cheese (mozzarella is a great choice because it melts perfectly and is low in fat) black and green olives, wilted spinach, garlicky mushrooms… The list is truly endless!
Why pizza pancakes are perfect
After creating and munching on our own pizza pancakes, we thought we should share some of the reasons why we love them SO much…
- they can be perfect for gluten and dairy intolerant diners
- huge choice of toppings make it easy and fun to enjoy a vegetarian meal
- unique flavours make this a versatile meal that you can keep coming back to again and again
- they’re ideal for cozy nights in, hosting a bunch of friends on the weekend, showing your children it’s more fun to create your own pizza than ordering online and of course making Pancake Day that little bit more unique!
- You can make them VEGAN! Grab a vegan cheese, select your fave toppings and off you go!
Say goodbye to shop-bought pizzas
So I guess I’ve got your full-undivided attention on these pizza pancakes and you are desperate to know how to make them yourself, so you can show off to your friends next weekend.
Well, this is the best thing, these beauties will only take you 20 minutes to create, so let’s get cracking!
Perfect Pizza Pancake Recipe
- Blend the yeast, water and flour together until smooth.
- Pour into a pan that is wiped with oil. Spread the dough evenly. The batter will be enough for two small or one big pizza.
- Give it a minute or two to set, then flip. Cook with a lid on for best results.
- Add tomato paste and mix in the dried herbs. Spread it evenly over the base.
- Chop the mozzarella and olives, lay them over the top.
- Cook with lid on. 8-10 mins for thin and crispy, 15 for deep pan.
- Add fresh basil at the end.