Without a doubt, there’s something joyful about simple foods. And that’s where these sweetcorn fritters really shine.
They’re tasty and uncomplicated, and can virtually always be made with foods leftover in the cupboard.
Eaten with a side or as a stand-alone meal, these corn fritters are an easy recipe that’s just great to have under the belt.
If you’ve run out of ideas or simply need something quick and nutritious for the family, then they’re awesome as a go-to.
We’ve learnt over the years in that order to improve your food life you need several things.
Spice up your kitchen life with sweetcorn fritters
The most helpful things, in no particular order are:
- A rough meal plan for the week (and shopping list where appropriate)
- Some kitchen basics and essentials
- A pantry with a good stock of herbs, spices and long-lasting foods to be called upon when needed
- A collection of simple, yet effective go-to recipes (like these sweetcorn fritters)
We have all of these on the site. Clicking any of the links above will take you to the relevant page.
These delicious fritters have led to more experimentation than usual. Often when we make a new recipe, it’s handed to us finished by Heiko, Jansen or Kat.
In this particular case, it was given to us by Heiko (thanks Heiko!) and straight away I was hooked.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried and tested this recipe now. But I can tell you my findings.
For full disclosure, I just took a break from writing this to make them again.
- In blind taste-testing, being cooked in butter instead of olive oil didn’t produce any discernible improvement to taste. We’ll stick with olive oil for the health benefits.
- Less flour and the fritter won’t hold together. Don’t skimp on the flour.
- Making these corn fritters vegan isn’t just possible, it’s delicious! The egg is needed for binding the fritters together – and a ‘flax egg’ works too. To make a ‘flax egg’ add 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds to 3 tbsp hot water, stir, and let thicken). Add it to the recipe in place of the egg.
- Serve the fritters with a little extra salt on top. It really brings out the taste.
- A lot of different sides fit sweetcorn fritters – potatoes or rice are a great choice. The fritters are also delicious on their own, or with a little sour creme.
That’s it for this week, but if you’re looking for more cooking inspiration then you’re in the right place.
Our new ebook, Breakfast in Six has just been released! Just as it sounds – Breakfast in Six makes mornings better with all recipes using just six or less tasty yet effective ingredients.
The recipes are all exclusive to the book too – they will not appear on the site. Don’t miss these morning saviours and order today (with -33% off release price!).
Make these sweetcorn fritters your new go-to recipe with ingredients you’ll always find in your kitchen. They’re vegan-friendly, too!
- ½ cup sour cream to serve (½ cup = 120g)
- In a bowl add flour, caraway seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, egg and water. Mix to a batter.
- Finely dice the red onion and rinse and drain the sweetcorn. Mix in both to the batter.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and set to medium heat.
- Now, ideally with a big spoon, take a burger-sized amount of the batter and place it into the pan. If needed adjust slightly with the spoon to make the patties look nice.
- Fry flat in the pan 5 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- If wanted, serve with a salad/potatoes/rice and your sour cream. Enjoy 🙂
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.
Check out our Breakfast in Six Cookbook
Our beautiful ebook, Breakfast in Six is out! It’s our favourite 30 vegetarian and vegan breakfast recipes – all made with six or less ingredients. They’ve never been seen on the site before (and never will). Check it out!