Easy Sweetcorn Fritters: A Firm Family Favourite!
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
There’s something joyful about simple foods and that’s where these sweet corn fritters really shine. They’re tasty and uncomplicated, and can virtually always be made with foods leftover in the cupboard.
Eaten with a side or as a stand-alone meal, these crispy fritters are a great recipe to have under your belt.
If you’ve run out of ideas or simply need something quick and nutritious for the whole family, then they’re awesome as a go-to.
Unlike some recipes, there isn’t a long list of ingredients for this easy recipe.
To make this simple fritter batter I added whole-grain flour to a large bow, which has a higher fiber content.
This is then mixed with caraway seeds (also known as meridian fennel and Persian cumin) and cayenne pepper which gives a warming flavor. I then add a pinch of salt and a beaten egg along with some water.
To finish this batter off I add in the canned sweetcorn and some diced red onion for added crunch and flavor! It really is as simple as that. If you have picky kids, you can skip the red onion.
Serve with a fresh baby salad and add a sour cream dipping sauce on the side.
How many calories?
In these crispy sweetcorn fritters, you will find just 237 calories, which is just the right amount for a well-balanced main course.
They will also give you 12 grams of protein.
Here’s a quick overview of the nutritional information:
Eating a sweetcorn fritter, made from wholegrain flour, as part of a main meal means that you should stay fuller for longer.
In turn, these healthy fritters will help aid in weight loss if that’s one of your current goals.
For more inspiring weight-loss recipes take a look at 91 Healthy Lunch Ideas For Weight Lunch (that’s plenty to feast on!).
How to make the best sweetcorn fritters?
If this is your first time trying these out let me give you a rundown on how to make them:
- Prep work – Place the flour, caraway seeds, cayenne pepper, egg, salt, and water in a large mixing bowl and whisk. Then add in the chopped onion and drained sweetcorn and mix to combine.
- Cook work – Add some olive oil to a large frying pan and warm over medium heat. Taking a spoonful of the corn mixture, make a pattie shape in the hot pan. Fry for 5 minutes on either side until they’re nice and golden brown.
- To serve – Wash a fresh salad and serve with sour cream.
These are sure to become a huge hit in no time!
Corn Fritter Recipes FAQs
How many calories are in sweetcorn?
There are 86 calories in 100 grams of sweetcorn.
How to store and reheat corn fritters?
Sweetcorn fritters can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and up to a month in the freezer.
To reheat fritters, it’s best to pop them in an oven for 10 minutes so they stay nice and crisp.
Why are my fritters soggy?
There are several reasons why your fritters are soggy, starting with too much moisture.
So the first tip I’d give you is to get all that excess moisture out, especially if you’re adding vegetables with a high water content like carrots, or grated courgette for instance.
Really squeeze it in some absorbent paper before adding it to the batter. Secondly, you need to make sure you use enough oil (go with what I suggest in the recipe and you’ll be fine) and let it warm up before cooking.
Lastly using cold water, and cold eggs in this recipe can really help crisp up those edges because who wants soggy fritters?!
What to serve with corn fritters?
You could try them with a variety of accompaniments including, yogurt dip, sweet chilli sauce, or why not have some smashed avocado on top?
You could eat them with chips, potato salad, avocado salsa, or even use them as a burger bun for a veggie burger!
Why do my fritters fall apart?
A good idea is to use a really good non-stick pan when cooking your fritters so they don’t stick to the base of the pan and fall apart.
Try not to flip them too soon, and not too often either, once on each side is sufficient.
If you haven’t got a good pan make sure there is enough oil in there and keep the temperature on medium-low heat.
Can I make corn fritters ahead?
As you can freeze corn fritters for up to 1 month it means they are a great make-ahead recipe.
There are some great options to try these fritters in so many different ways,
- Add cheese to make cheesy sweetcorn fritters – they would go down well with the little ones.
- Use different vegetables like adding carrot or zucchini (make sure you get that moisture out).
- You could try any of the accompaniments I’ve mentioned in the FAQ section
- Or how about adding a lovely poached egg on top of your finished fritter?
More Recipes Like This
If you love these you’ll probably love these recipes too,
- ½ cup low fat Greek Yogurt (½ cup = 120g)(or sour cream)
- 2 handful baby leaf salad
- In a bowl add flour, caraway seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, egg and water. Mix to a batter.
- Finely dice the red onion and rinse and drain the sweetcorn. Mix in both to the batter.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and set to medium heat.
- Now, ideally with a big spoon, take a burger-sized amount of the batter and place it into the pan. If needed adjust slightly with the spoon to make the patties look nice.
- Fry flat in the pan 5 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with a some baby leaf salad and your sour cream. Enjoy 🙂
Hopefully, this recipe has shown that you really can raid the pantry when you’re looking for a quick dinner and make something that is nutritious for the whole family.
These sweetcorn fritters have long been a favourite around our table and I know they will soon become a favourite of yours too!
For more inspiring meals download your FREE 7-day meal plan for a different meal idea every day for a week!