Pizza rocks! 😀 At least I certainly think so. It has a lot going for it. But for some, pizza potatoes are the answer.
To most, ‘gluten-free’ is just a myth – a phrase made up by marketing supremos who target vulnerable eaters into paying more for a swishy new slogan on the side of their food.
To those few that suffer from adverse gluten reactions or Celiac disease, it’s a horrible experience.
Therefore, in the aim of making pizza for everyone, we have an alternative. Pizza potatoes.
By using potatoes as the base, we can eliminate gluten. We can also make a damn tasty meal. In fact it’s so good that I’m finding it hard to go back to regular pizza.
You’ll see what I mean after the first bite.
Pizza Potatoes – why we can’t get enough
- Make them however you like – transfer all your favourite pizza toppings over to this bad boy instead.
- It’s easy to make big batches – perfect for families, groups or parties.
- Tastes great the next day – not that there will be many leftovers.
- If there are you can take them to work and reheat in a microwave – or even eat cold! Yep, seriously.
- They’re gluten free. If you’re in the minority that needs to avoid the big G, then these pizza potatoes have got your back.
- Did I mention how good they taste?
- Your pizza, your choice. To save time – leave the skin on the potatoes! Not only does the skin have lots of nutrients and some extra fiber and protein in it, it tastes great too.
Just make sure you give the skin a quick scrub first, and if any areas don’t look nice then skim them off.
There you go. Amazing tasting, gluten-free, pizza potatoes. The proof is in the eating as they say – so what are you waiting for?
Perfect Pizza Potatoes
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into a bowl and add in all the herbs, salt and pepper. Give it a good mix with a fork.
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Cut the potatoes in small slices (0.2 inches/ 0.5cm). It’s your choice if you want to peel them. I don’t.
- Next, in a bowl, toss the potato slices with olive oil, then layer them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a little salt over the potatoes.
- Now spread the tomato mix evenly on top of the potatoes.
- Slice the mozzarella and grate the cheddar. Sprinkle on top of the tomato sauce together with the olives and whatever other toppings you’re having.
Now off it goes into the oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Aaaaand you’re done!
These pizza potatoes are awesome with a simple leafy salad.
Your favourite pizza toppings are optional! Think capers, pineapple, jalapeños, peppers, sweetcorn, spinach, red onions, mushrooms, sliced zucchini - whatever floats your boat!
If you liked these pizza potatoes then you definitely need to check out our Farmer's Breakfast. It’s a similarly tasty potato dish. Or how about sweet potatoes for a change? Then we can highly recommend these Baked Sweet Potatoes with a Greek Salad. Delicious!
Thanks Heiko for sharing this recipe with us. Super tasty, as always! 😀
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.
Check out our Breakfast in Six Cookbook
Our beautiful ebook, Breakfast in Six is out! It’s our favourite 30 vegetarian and vegan breakfast recipes – all made with six or less ingredients. They’ve never been seen on the site before (and never will). Check it out!