Leek, Potato and White Bean Soup (no cream!)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
This leek and potato soup recipe combines the comfort of hearty potatoes and leeks with an added portion of protein boosting white beans for the perfect winter meal, with no added cream!
While leeks are available year round in most places, they are in season from late winter to early spring, making them a great choice of vegetable at this time of year.
Some soups can take hours of chopping and simmering, but our leek and white bean soup proves that delicious and warming soups can be ready in half an hour!
To speed things up you’ll need a blender to achieve the thick and creamy texture that makes this healthy leek and potato soup so tasty.
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
Souper Healthy Leek and Potato Soup
Leeks aren’t much touted for their health benefits, and are perhaps better known for being pinned to Welshmen’s hats and jackets as a national symbol since at least Shakespeare’s time.
However they’re also one of the secret superstars of the vegetable world! They’re high in compounds thought to lower cholesterol and protect against cancers and heart disease.
This is because they’re part of the allium family, which also includes onions and garlic, and so share many of their anti-inflammatory properties.
Leeks are also high in fibre and water content which makes them a very filling vegetable, meaning this leek soup recipe works well with our vegetarian weight loss meal plan.
Health bean-ifits of white beans
While leeks and potatoes are the main ingredients for many traditional leek and potato soup recipes, we’ve added 6oz of white beans to ours for added protein and fibre.
Adding white beans gives this soup a rich and creamy texture without any actual cream, making this no cream leek and potato soup is a much healthier option.
Adding two tablespoons of sour cream to serve is entirely optional, as is which kind of cheese you use. We’ve suggested feta but cheddar or goat’s cheese are also delicious toppings, depending on your preference!
Which white beans you choose are up to you: cannellini, butter, navy or great northern beans. Each white bean has a slightly different flavour profile and texture, but all work well in this healthy leek and potato soup.
If this vegetarian bean soup recipe leaves you wanting more, try this bean and pasta casserole or this high protein white bean salad.
- 10 oz leek (one big leek or two small ones)
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 clove garlic
- 6 oz white beans, canned (or cooked white beans)
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 oz potato, diced (¼ cup diced potato)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp croutons
- 2 oz feta cheese (crumbled)(or substitute for another cheese)
- ¼ cup parsley, fresh (packed)
- 2 tbsp low fat sour cream
- Clean the leek by chopping the base and the top of the upper green section. Make a lengthwise cut and wash the leek, notice if the upper green section has some dirt inside and make sure to wash it properly.10 oz leek
- Thinly slice the leek and garlic cloves.2 clove garlic
- In a medium sized pot over medium-low heat add the olive oil. Sweat the leeks and the garlic. Cook until the leeks appear golden brown. Take out of the pan ¼ of the cooked leeks/garlic and reserve.1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Then add the white beans, broth, thyme and black pepper to the pot. Allow to bubble and simmer until the leeks are completely soft, about 5-6 minutes. Stir often to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pot.6 oz white beans, canned, 2 ½ cups vegetable broth, ½ tsp thyme, dried, ¼ tsp black pepper
- Blend with a hand blender or regular blender until you have a creamy and uniform soup.
- Transfer back to the pot and place over medium heat. Add diced potato and salt, mix into the soup.2 oz potato, diced, ½ tsp salt
- Allow to bubble and simmer until the diced potato is cooked through and the soup has reduced (8-10 minutes). By the end taste the soup and add extra salt per taste if necessary.
- Serve the soup with reserved browned leeks/garlic, parsley leaves, low fat sour cream, croutons and feta.2 tbsp croutons, 2 oz feta cheese, ¼ cup parsley, fresh, 2 tbsp low fat sour cream