You’d be forgiven if you think we’re obsessed with broccoli and cauliflower.
Not only do we now have broccoli and cauliflower soup, we also have a broccoli and cauliflower salad, and a roasted Mediterranean broccoli and cauliflower bake. That’s a lot of broccoli and cauliflower. And you know why?
Because it rocks. It’s that simple.
It’s tasty, it’s filling, it’s nutrient dense and it’s cheap.
Superfoods get shouted about all the time. Like a z-list celebrity they rise and fall from grace; sometimes you can get hold of them, sometimes you can’t. Prices tend to stay high, however.
What makes them so super, anyway?
Broccoli and cauliflower don’t cause anywhere near the excitement the latest grain or berry that grows only in moonlight on the mysterious plains near the magical waterfall does, but they should.
What I’m more interested in today is the cooking method.
Boiling? Roasting? Steaming? Frying?
Although all forms of cooking result in some loss of vitamins within vegetables, it is generally regarded that steaming is one of the best ways to cook veg, and boiling is not.
That’s mostly because the water soluble vitamins in veg will leak out into the water when boiled. Then they’ll be poured down the plughole when the veg is ready.
But not if you make soup! Those lovely vitamins will be retained and eaten – by you. Pretty awesome, huh?
So, make broccoli and cauliflower soup and enjoy the vitamins and nutrients at their best.
Easy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Slice the onion into rings and throw it in a big pan with the olive oil.
- Cook on a low-medium for 3 minutes. Chop the garlic roughly and cook for another minute.
- In the meantime, roughly chop the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Make the veggie stock as per packet instructions.
- Throw the broccoli and cauliflower into the pan.
- Add the stock and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the cheddar cheese. Hold just a little cheddar cheese back for serving. Add the thyme, basil and mustard. Give it all a good stir and let the flavours mix together for a few minutes.
- Finally, use a hand blender and give it a blend!
- Serve with fresh bread and a few herbs of choice for garnish.
And in other news…
We were slightly slow to announce it, but we’re happy to say we have completely relaunched the site! It was a lot of work but we’re very pleased with the results.
If you’re new here then you won’t notice anything different – if you’ve been kicking around for a while then you’ll see how pretty and nice everything looks.
We even have a new ‘recipe super search’ where you can choose from drop down menus to find exactly the type of meal you want from ‘vegan’ to ‘low-carb’, from ‘max 10 min’ to ‘max 45 min’ and ‘desserts’ to ‘oven recipes’.
There’s so much to choose from – go have a play!
Vegetables, raw or cooked in any form, are still nutritional powerhouses. Eat some, any way you like!
Our site has been revamped. Go check it out![asa2_smart_collection cat_slug=”broccoli-and-cauliflower-soup” /]