Creamy Curried Lentil Soup with Coconut
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
We’ve done plenty of smashing soup recipes in our time, but none so flavourful, original and straight up NUTRITIOUS as this curried lentil soup with coconut.
But this coconut curry lentil soup combo is in a league of its own. It’s simple to make: there’s barely any chopping to do and you cook it all in one pot.
It’s healthy: there’s literally multivitamin juice in there, not to mention our fave legume, lentils!
And it’s delicious: sweet, creamy coconut meets rich salty stock meets fragrant spiced curry paste…yes please!
Curried Lentil Soup with Coconut : The only thing you’ve got to lose is weight!
This vegetarian lentil soup shouldn’t be underestimated for its nutritional prowess either.
The lentils are the star of the show: they pack a protein punch, and are rammed with all-important fiber, which so many of us don’t get enough of in our diets. The high fiber levels also make you feel full for longer, which is great if you are trying to lose weight, as it means you won’t want to snack as much.
But the best way to see that this is a super healthy lentil soup is to check out the full nutritional profile. For a quick snapshot: one serving contains 334 kcal, 14g fat, 12g protein.
334 kcal is a good amount for a light meal – on our vegetarian weight loss course we usually recommend between 400-600 per meal. A slice of wholegrain toast on the side never goes amiss.
14g of fat is enough to get the fat you need in order to absorb nutrients, but not so much as to threaten the heart-healthiness of this dish. 12g protein is 22% of an average RDA, so a solid amount for one meal.
A one pot wonder: How to make the perfect soup
We have already proclaimed the wonders of this easy lentil soup – all you need is one pot and 30 minutes.
In order to achieve this, we ask of you but one thing: DO NOT throw all your vegetables in at the beginning! Yes, we know it’s enticing, but if you hold off and add them bit by bit, according to which cooks quickest, you will see the results!
This curried coconut lentil soup is already incredibly simple, and what makes it so successful is that resistant crunch as you take your first bite.
So there you have it: a curried lentil soup with coconut milk, the vegan lentil soup you’ve all been waiting for!
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper, red
- ½ cup multivitamin juice (the normal drinking stuff, something like ‘tropical fruit juice’)
- ⅔ cup brown lentils, dried
- 1.5 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp green curry paste (all colours work well, just check for fish-related ingredients if you’re vegan/veggie)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sugar snap peas (or green beans, 1 cup = 100g, frozen is fine too!)
- In a pot cook the brown rice according to package instructions.¾ cup brown rice
- Heat up the vegetable broth in a separate large pot, and bring to a boil.1 cup vegetable broth
- Chop the red onion and red bell pepper into cubes.1 bell pepper, red, 1 red onion
- Add the multivitamin juice and lentils to the pot. Start a timer with 25 minutes.½ cup multivitamin juice, ⅔ cup brown lentils, dried
- Bring the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the coconut milk and red onion, followed by the nutritional yeast, curry, salt, pepper and sugar.1.5 cup low-fat coconut milk, 1 red onion, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp green curry paste, Salt and pepper to taste, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- After 18 minutes have gone past, add the red pepper cubes.1 bell pepper, red
- After 22 minutes have gone past, add the sugar snap peas / green beans.1 cup sugar snap peas
- At 25 minutes, everything should be ready! Give the lentils a quick taste to make sure they’re not chewy (give a few mins longer if necessary).
- That’s it, your coconut curry lentil soup is ready! Serve with brown rice.