Creamy Curried Lentil Soup with Coconut
This post may contain affiliate links, so if you buy from a link we may earn a commission at no cost to you
We’ve done plenty of smashing soup recipes in our time, but none so flavourful, original and straight up NUTRITIOUS as this curried lentil soup with coconut.
But this coconut curry lentil soup combo is in a league of its own. It’s simple to make: there’s barely any chopping to do and you cook it all in one pot.
It’s healthy: there’s literally multivitamin juice in there, not to mention our fave legume, lentils!
And it’s delicious: sweet, creamy coconut meets rich salty stock meets fragrant spiced curry paste…yes please!
Curried Lentil Soup with Coconut : The only thing you’ve got to lose is weight!
This vegetarian lentil soup shouldn’t be underestimated for its nutritional prowess either.
The lentils are the star of the show: they pack a protein punch, and are rammed with all-important fiber, which so many of us don’t get enough of in our diets. The high fiber levels also make you feel full for longer, which is great if you are trying to lose weight, as it means you won’t want to snack as much.
But the best way to see that this is a super healthy lentil soup is to check out the full nutritional profile. For a quick snapshot: one serving contains 334 kcal, 14g fat, 12g protein.
334 kcal is a good amount for a light meal – on our vegetarian weight loss course we usually recommend between 400-600 per meal. A slice of wholegrain toast on the side never goes amiss.
14g of fat is enough to get the fat you need in order to absorb nutrients, but not so much as to threaten the heart-healthiness of this dish. 12g protein is 22% of an average RDA, so a solid amount for one meal.
A one pot wonder: How to make the perfect soup
We have already proclaimed the wonders of this easy lentil soup – all you need is one pot and 30 minutes.
In order to achieve this, we ask of you but one thing: DO NOT throw all your vegetables in at the beginning! Yes, we know it’s enticing, but if you hold off and add them bit by bit, according to which cooks quickest, you will see the results!
This curried coconut lentil soup is already incredibly simple, and what makes it so successful is that resistant crunch as you take your first bite.
So there you have it: a curried lentil soup with coconut milk, the vegan lentil soup you’ve all been waiting for!
- 1 ¼ cup brown lentils, dried (25 mins is standard cooking time, 1 ¼ cups = 300g)
- 2 ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ cup multivitamin juice (the normal drinking stuff, something like ‘tropical fruit juice’)
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk (1 can = 450ml)
- 1 bell pepper, red
- 1 cup sugar snap peas (or green beans, 1 cup = 100g, frozen is fine too!)
- 2 red onion
- 1 ½ tsp green curry paste (all colours work well, just check for fish-related ingredients if you’re vegan/veggie)
- 1 tsp sugar (or maple syrup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ sweet potato (½ potato = 100g)
- Heat up the vegetable broth in a large pot, and bring to a boil.2 ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- Chop the sweet potato, red onion and red bell pepper into cubes.1 bell pepper, red, 2 red onion, ½ sweet potato
- Add the multivitamin juice, lentils and sweet potato to the pot. Start a timer with 25 minutes.1 ¼ cup multivitamin juice
- Bring the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the coconut milk and red onion, followed by the curry, salt, pepper and sugar.1 can low-fat coconut milk, 2 red onion, 1 ½ tsp green curry paste, 1 tsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- After 18 minutes have gone past, add the red pepper cubes.1 bell pepper, red
- After 22 minutes have gone past, add the sugar snap peas / green beans.1 cup sugar snap peas
- At 25 minutes, everything should be ready! Give the lentils a quick taste to make sure they’re not chewy (give a few mins longer if necessary).
- That’s it, your coconut curry lentil soup is ready!