You might have noticed a bit of a pattern emerging recently. We’ve been posting lots of dishes that are high protein, or low carb, or both. This one is no exception and proudly combines a lovely mix of tempting flavours with impressive health benefits. Just the way we like it…
When we first came across these Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins it suckered us in instantly, but also looked a little fiddly and time consuming. After a few (a lot!) of trial and error efforts we drastically cut down the prep and cooking time and are happy to say we have a really easy but really tasty recipe to share with you.
The end result is a crazy high-powered egg hybrid thing that tastes like an omelette, looks like a muffin and is packed full of protein and delicious veggie nutrients. You can eat them hot or cold, for breakfast, lunch or dinner or as a post-workout snack (my favourite). I love to layer a good bit of cheddar cheese over the top, but each to their own of course!
They’re surprisingly filling too – the ingredients below will make six of these egg muffin thingies – and three is definitely a full meal. I’ve been taking them out and about with me and eating a couple at a time as a large snack. Yumm…
If you don’t already have a muffin tin (Amazon Link) then now is the perfect time to invest in one. They don’t need to be expensive.
Health Benefits – Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins
Eggs are a nutrient, mineral and protein bomb. They contain omega-3 fats, A,B,D, E and K vitamins, and a complete range of amino acids (1) – the building blocks of protein. The old myth of eggs being bad for you ‘cos of cholesterol reasons has also been disproven as a load of old bollocks (albeit in a slightly less succinct way) (2) and this short but interesting study shows that eggs will keep you feeling full for longer (3). Food for thought indeed.
With regards to the nutritional information table – please note that one serving is comprised of three muffins.
Low Carb Egg Breakfast Muffins (25 Minutes, Vegetarian)
Delicious and Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins. Simple recipe, great taste. Low carb and high in protein. Perfect as a full meal or filling snack.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 390°F.
- Wash and dice the pepper, onions and tomatoes. and put them in a large mixing bowl.
Wash the spinach, lightly chop it and add it to the bowl as well.
- Add the eggs and salt. Mix well. Pro tip - crack the eggs separately before adding. That way if you get a dodgy one, it won’t ruin the whole meal.
- Optionally add some hot sauce, curry powder...whatever you like. Hot sauce is great!
- Grease the muffin tin with oil and kitchen paper/baking brush and pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin slots. (If you think they might still stick to the pan use some muffin cups or cut out some baking paper and to use as cups - definitely saves time on doing the washing up 😉
- If you’re so inclined then layering some cheese over the top of each muffin before they go into the oven is a delicious addition! You can also mix in the cheese to the batter.
- Pop the tray into the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.
- Bon Appetit!!
COOKING TIME: How do you like your eggs? Rather soft? Stick to 20 minutes baking time. If you like them well done, almost crunchy, go for 25 minutes!
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE: Try out one of our other recipes - if you’re in an eggy mood then this Perfect Omelette is ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This Quick Eggy Bread is a real time-saver too!