Oven Roasted Broccoli Halloumi Traybake | 32g Protein!
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Tray bakes make for gloriously simple and healthy dinners, and this oven roasted broccoli halloumi tray bake is a fine example of such a dish!
While some roasted veg recipes can take forever, this recipe is ready in just 35 minutes, making it a practical weeknight dinner.
It’s not just broccoli and halloumi though! There are also lentils AND a nutty cashew pesto to drizzle on top. I dare you to try and find a tastier broccoli dinner 😉
Oven roasted broccoli: healthy one sheet dinner
Our broccoli sheet pan dinner has it all: protein, fibre, nutritious veggies, low fat and sugar! One serving provides you with 562 kcal, which is a perfect amount for dinner for the average person’s diet.
We like to make sure our recipes are both healthy and weight loss friendly, because those two are kind of our specialties!
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
The venn diagram of healthy and weight loss should really be a circle. We don’t believe in fad diets, we go in for a more holistic, sustainable approach.
Eating healthy, filling food while maintaining a slim calorie deficit is a sure fire way to lose a healthy amount of weight – and keep it off! Check out our Vegetarian for Weight Loss E-Book to learn more about how we approach weight loss.
So what makes a meal healthy and filling?
We like to focus on protein and fibre, as two key macros when it comes to health and weight loss.This dish contains a whopping 32g protein per serving and 17g fibre!
Protein is crucial. It supports general muscle maintenance and growth, as well as being super filling, which is beneficial if you are trying to lose weight.
Fibre also has the benefit of being very filling, but in a more general sense is important when it comes to regulating your digestive system.
Halloumi, lentils, broccoli: the force behind this meal
The protein in our oven roasted broccoli recipe comes mainly from halloumi and lentils and the fibre from broccoli and lentils.
All of these ingredients have other health benefits of their own.
Broccoli provides some of your fruit and veg intake. It also contains important antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Our vegan cheezy broccoli casserole is another great way to eat broccoli!
Halloumi is a good source of calcium, as well as the obvious protein. Make sure you get vegetarian halloumi, though, as the traditional method uses rennet.
And where to even begin with lentils! We love legumes, they are so jam packed with good stuff.
Lentils are good for your digestive system and contain compounds which help reduce risk of developing chronic diseases. They are also good for your heart and their low glycaemic index helps to manage blood sugar levels.
Try our lentil tabbouleh or lentil banh mi, if you want to get more of these bad boys in your diet.
But for now, enjoy our delicious oven roasted broccoli recipe with halloumi and lentils 🙂
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 red onion
- 1 chili pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 2 handful basil, fresh
- 2 clove garlic
- ½ lime
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ⅓ cup lentils, cooked (or canned and drained)
- 2 oz halloumi cheese
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp parsley or dill
- 3.5 oz ciabatta bread
- Preheat the oven to 430 F / 220 C.
- Cut the broccoli into big florets and slice the red onion in half and then each half into four pieces lengthwise. Thinly slice the chilli pepper if using.1 lb broccoli, 1 red onion
- In the food processor add the cashews with 5 tbsp of water, basil, garlic, juice from ½ lime, ½ tsp salt, black pepper, and process until you have a pesto like texture (not fully smooth). Taste and add more salt per taste. If necessary add a little extra water too.1 chili pepper, 2 tbsp cashews, 2 handful basil, fresh, 2 clove garlic, ½ lime, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a baking sheet place the lentils and thinly sliced chilli pepper if using. On top add the red onion, broccoli florets and halloumi.1 ⅓ cup lentils, cooked, 2 oz halloumi cheese
- Drizzle the pesto seasoning on top of the veggies and sprinkle remaining ½ tsp of salt + black pepper per taste. Brush the broccoli florets and halloumi with the olive oil.½ tbsp olive oil
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the broccoli florets are tender. Turn on the grill or broiler of the oven at the highest temperature and bake for 3-5 minutes, until the veggies are golden brown.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley or dill and serve immediately. Serve with a side of ciabatta bread.1 tbsp parsley or dill, 3.5 oz ciabatta bread