Vegan Pho Recipe – Vietnamese noodle soup
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Pho is super popular at the moment, so we decided to put together our own version!
It’s basically a vegan noodle soup inspired by the Vietnamese dish pho (pronounced fuh like ‘duh’). The word pho technically just means noodles but it is used to refer to a dish usually made of broth, rice noodles and thinly sliced meat.
Obviously, we’ve lost the meat, so this is a tofu pho recipe!
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
How to make a vegan pho recipe?
This easy pho recipe comes together in just 15 minutes. All you have to do is fry up the onion, garlic and ginger, add vegetable broth, peppers, soy sauce and noodles and let it all simmer.
You’ll want to fry the tofu separately, until it’s all crispy-crunchy, then add it at the end so it doesn’t get soggy. One tip for super crispy tofu is to toss it in cornflour before you fry it!
The toppings are what really make an easy vegetarian pho recipe really exciting – try peanuts, spring onions, jalapeño and basil… maybe a dash of lime or sriracha too? Mouthwatering!
The final result is a hot steaming bowl of broth, brimming with bright flavours. Dinner of kings!
Making it right PHO you!
Given that this is a vegan rice noodle soup, it’s almost gluten-free. The reason we say almost, is because soy sauce is a sneaky one and often has wheat in it!
However the rice noodles are gluten free and you can find soy sauce made with rice instead of wheat, or you can use tamari as a substitute.
If you aren’t vegan, you could add a boiled egg to your pho, for extra protein. If you don’t like tofu, most vegan meat substitutes would also work.
If you’re looking for a vegan asian noodle soup that you can bring to work with you, or meal prep and eat later, try our noodle soup in a jar. It’s similar to this authentic vegan pho recipe but just… in a jar!
And that’s a vegan pho recipe pho you (for more recipes like this check out our vegan low fat recipes)! (Pardon the pun)
For the soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ bell pepper, red
- 4.5 oz rice noodles
- 1 lemon
For the tofu
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz firm tofu
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 spring onions
- 1 handful cilantro/coriander, fresh
- 1 handful basil, fresh
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 jalapeño
For the tofu
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan to medium heat. Dice the tofu and add to the pan with a pinch of salt. Fry for about 15 minutes until crispy.1 tsp olive oil, 8 oz firm tofu
For the soup
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot to low heat.1 tsp olive oil
- Dice the onion. Finely dice ginger and garlic. Then add into the pot and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.1 medium onion, 1 tbsp ginger, fresh, 1 clove garlic
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.5 cups vegetable broth
- Add soy sauce and pepper. Dice the bell pepper and off it goes into the soup.1.5 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp black pepper, ½ bell pepper, red
- Add the rice noodles.4.5 oz rice noodles
- Let the soup cook for another 5 minutes.
- That’s it! The cooking’s done!
- Chop cilantro, basil, peanuts, jalapeño and spring onions.Pour the soup into a big serving bowl. Serve with cilantro, basil, peanuts, lemon juice, bean sprouts, spring onions and tofu bits.1 lemon, 1 cup bean sprouts, 3 spring onions, 1 handful cilantro/coriander, fresh, 1 handful basil, fresh, 2 tbsp peanuts, 1 jalapeño
- mushrooms (cook them together with the onion)
- red or yellow bell pepper, sliced in tiny bits (cook together with the onion)
- shallots instead of onions (if you’re feeling fancy)
- a bit of cinnamon, smoky paprika powder, and/or anis (add together with the garlic)
- a carrot (sliced julienne, cook together with the broth)
- peanuts (as a topping)
- fried onions (as a topping)
- turmeric (extra flavour)
- lemongrass (extra flavour)
- fried tofu crumbles (extra consistency and protein)
SUPER Tasty! I added some red Chili, delicious!
This one is sooo awesome!!! I was blown away when I got the recipe from Christine. So quick and tasty 😀
Glad you liked it!
Super tasty and so easy and quick to make!!
Glad you liked it!!