25 Minute Vegetarian Spicy Corn Chowder (21g protein per serving)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
A hearty homemade corn chowder with easy-to-find ingredients, like this spicy corn chowder recipe, is always a winner, especially in cold winter times! It will definitely win your heart not only with its deliciousness but also with its health benefits. Best corn chowder recipe ever and we can prove it!
Protein, calcium & more…the health benefits of this spicy corn chowder!
21 grams of protein per serving from a vegetarian corn chowder recipe? Now that certainly is not the number you get from every soup. Thanks to the milk and cheese, this dish provides a good amount of complete protein for vegetarians, meaning it provides all the essential amino acids you need to get from your diet (but if that sounds like too much dairy for you, check out our dairy-free high protein vegan soups instead!).
Milk and cheese in this creamy corn chowder recipe also help you to get 40% of your daily calcium intake. Calcium is associated with stronger bones and teeth. Both calcium and protein are needed for muscle growth as well.
Onion, red bell pepper, and corn boost the vitamin C levels in this soup. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that clears free radicals from your body and strengthens your immune system. A strong immune system is something we all need, especially during winter, and a healthy corn chowder recipe is a good place to start strengthening yours.
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
Even the spices have health benefits!
Last but not least, we cannot overlook the benefits of spices in this recipe. Cumin seeds contain flavonoids which work as antioxidants to keep free radicals away from our bodies.
Curry powder is usually a mixture of powerful spices like turmeric, coriander, cumin, and more. Thanks to these healthful spices, curry powder may offer many health benefits, such as supporting the digestive system and controlling blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Chili pepper helps to boost your metabolism due to its chemical compound capsaicin. A review of studies shows that capsaicin in chili peppers increases energy expenditure by approximately 50 calories per day. It also helps to reduce appetite and daily energy intake.
An easy corn chowder recipe (no cooking skills needed!), that is healthy AND super tasty, is waiting for you to cook. Lunch or dinner doesn’t matter; it’ll make you happy and warm anytime you have it.
What our readers are saying
Found this recipe while searching for a spicy corn chowder. It was delicious, exactly what I was looking for! I did make a few modifications: adding half a diced potato and some lime juice and cilantro as garnish. I didn’t have milk on hand so I used coconut milk. Will definitely make this again!Laura ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This soup is absolutely amazing!! So much so that during ‘lockdown ‘, I have been making and taking to my Mum and yesterday she complained that I haven’t brought any round for 2 weeks, so I am heading off to the kitchen now! My sister owns a pub and has asked me for the recipe, so I am wondering if she wants to put it on the menu!!!! Covent Garden used to make a corn chowder, but this is far superior, so thank you so much for this recipe, I love it and add extra chilli to make it even spicier!!Jacqueline ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I made it vegan by replacing milk with coconut milk, butter with olive oil, and cheese with Daiya vegan cheddar cheese. I also added 1 tbspoon corn starch (mixed in water first) to thicken it up. Came out yummy, thanks!Mel ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ medium onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (or rice flour to make it gluten-free)
- 1 can sweet corn (drained and rinsed)(1 can = 15 oz)
- ½ bell pepper, red (we recommend red)
- 1 chili pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 shallots (or spring onions)
- Heat milk and vegetable broth together in a separate pot on a low heat; make sure it doesn’t boil otherwise the fat will separate itself from the milk.1 cup skimmed milk, 1 cup vegetable broth
- Dice up the onion, get a pot and let it simmer in the butter. Then add flour. Stir well.1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp all purpose flour, ½ medium onion
- Dice up the bell pepper and add it to the pot. Throw in the corn too.½ bell pepper, red, 1 can sweet corn
- Cut the chili pepper into small pieces and off into the pot with it.1 chili pepper
- Now add the milk and broth mix to the pot. Stir in the cumin and curry powder too.1 tsp cumin, ground, 2 tsp curry powder
- Stir everything well and let it simmer for about 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Finally throw in the cheddar and let it melt.½ cup cheddar cheese
- Cut up the shallots and add them for garnish.2 shallots
- That’s it, enjoy your corn chowder!