Spicy Black Bean Soup (20 Min, Vegan)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Here’s what I was thinking when I started to experiment with soup recipes: “Why the hell bother making a soup from scratch when I can just buy a can?
It’s clearly faster and it should be healthy too, right?! Are we wasting our time? Should HurryTheFoodUp’s soup recipes just HurryTheFuckOff?”
I quickly wrote down what I require from my ideal soup: It should…
- …be at least vegetarian.
- …contain only moderate sodium levels.
- …taste great.
- …be reasonably priced.
- …and be available in any bigger grocery store.
I still haven’t found a canned soup that meets my requirements, especially with the sodium levels being the way they are.
Where do they get all the salt from anyway? Do they use sea water when they’re making it? Some soups are so salty they could float a rock.
Instead, I worked on perfecting my Black Bean Soup recipe, inspired by a visit to a Mexican mate’s house.
You can whip it up in just over 20 minutes and it tastes so good you’ll be licking the bowl clean.
Cumin, red pepper flakes, vinegar and cilantro do their magic and add flavor instead of a truck load of salt.
Add some avocado and bread to make a full (and fulfilling) meal out of it.
Health Benefits – Spicy Black Bean Soup
I saved the best till last. The fiber to protein ratio of black beans is 1:1, giving you about 15g of both per serving.
Apart from energizing you while simultaneously keeping you full, the high amount of fiber and protein helps to keep your blood sugar balance in check – something which helps to prevent type 2 diabetes in the long run (1, 2).
Pretty awesome, right?!
PS. A final question – do you ever buy canned soups?
- 2 tortillas
- 1 oz cheddar cheese (only for those who are not vegan)
- Get a pot and add the olive oil.1 tsp olive oil
- Finely dice up the onion and mince the garlic. Throw both in the pot and let it simmer on low heat.½ onion, 2 cloves garlic
- In the meantime cut the bell pepper into small pieces and add them to the pot.1 bell pepper, red
- Rinse and drain the can of black beans.1.5 cups black beans, cooked
- Squash a few of them with a fork or your hands to give the soup a creamy touch, then throw them into the pot with a bit of love.
- Add the vegetable broth to the mix.1 cup vegetable broth
- Chop the cilantro and add it to the soup (holding a bit in reserve for garnish).2 sprigs cilantro/coriander, fresh
- Now pimp it up with the cumin, red pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar.1.5 tsp cumin, ground, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare some avocado slices and heat up the tortillas.½ avocado, 2 tortillas
- If you want to be naughty, finish off the soup with a slice of cheddar.1 oz cheddar cheese
- Taste test – adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Soups on! Garnish the bowl with a little extra cilantro, avocado and you’re ready to roll.