Arugula Lentil Salad with easy to find ingredients. It’s simple, tasty, vegan and really healthy!
When Howie first told me he’d just tried an awesome new recipe I fully believed him – but my heart sank when he told me it was an Arugula Lentil Salad.
Not because it’s a salad – we’ve made some wicked ones – but because of the arugula.
‘What the buggery is arugula?’ I asked myself. And where would I find such an exotic ingredient in Hamburg?
A quick google told me all I needed to know – this alluring sounding ingredient is none other than rocket (or rucola) in disguise! That’s right, plain old rocket. Easy to find, even easier to eat.
Perhaps it’s ‘cos I’m British that I’d never heard it called that – but we decided to keep the name as it sounds cool anyway.
Whatever the name, this is a really simple, classic dish. It’s very easy to prepare, with just a few ingredients – and follows the ‘less is more’ theme.
The taste lingers on the side of nutty and salty, and is very much one for lovers of savoury.
If you can’t resist, then add some raisins and a drop of honey/agave nectar. See what you think.
Health Benefits – Arugula Lentil Salad
Cashews, lentils, arugula. Not a bad list as health goes, really.
Cashews have some amazing properties, including lowering the risk of death through heart and cardiovascular disease, preventing gallstones, helping your bones to grow, and even acting as an antioxidant.
That’s impressive already and it doesn’t end there – check out this ‘cashew’ link for some more brilliant benefits.
Lentils are really no slouch either. They’ll boost your iron and fibre and protein levels, stabilise your blood sugar, and even fight against diabetes and digestive problems. See here for more wonderful details.
We’re certainly not perfect, and while we’re not there yet we do really believe that veganism is a great step forward.
This recipe is just another one of many, many tasty recipes that are quick, healthy and taste great – without animals.
Wanna know something nuts? The cashew isn’t really a nut…it’s a seed. Really.
Arugula Lentil Salad From Heaven
- ½ cup cashews (¾ cups = 100 g)
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 chilli / jalapeño
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 3 slices bread (whole wheat)
- 1 cup brown lentils, cooked (1 cup = 1 / 15oz / 400 g)
- 1 handful arugula/rocket (1 handful = 100 g)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small handful raisins
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Roast the cashews on a low heat for about three minutes in a pan to maximize aroma. Then throw them into the salad bowl.
- Dice up and fry the onion in olive oil for about 3 minutes on a low heat.
- Move the onion mix into a big bowl.
- Meanwhile chop the chilli/jalapeño and dried tomatoes. Cut the bread into big croutons. Add them to the pan and fry for another 2 minutes until the bread is crunchy. The oil from the sun-dried tomatoes should do.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Wash the arugula and add it to the bowl. Add the raisins.
- Put the lentils in too. Season with salt, pepper, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Finally, serve with the croutons mix.
- Super tasty!