Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes with Halloumi
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Roasted veg makes such a delicious, low effort meal, and this roasted asparagus and tomatoes recipe is one of our favourite examples of a roast veggie dinner!
Roasted asparagus and tomatoes with rich, salty halloumi, drizzled with a lemony dressing and served on a bed of fluffy high protein quinoa.
It can be ready in 32 minutes, with just 10 minutes prep time. So easy, so simple, SO delicious!
If you like the sound of this healthy dinner recipe, you should check out our vegetarian weight loss meal plan – it’s full of dishes like this and more!
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
The tasty trio: roasted asparagus and tomatoes with halloumi!
Halloumi is such a great food to use in vegetarian cooking (some of our best vegetarian meals include halloumi!).
It has a much higher melting point than most cheeses so it can be grilled, fried, or roasted and will remain solid. You can use it as a protein source in a main meal.
Halloumi contains 10.5g protein per 1.5 oz serving, which is the serving size for this recipe, with the rest coming from the quinoa.
Roasted halloumi and vegetables is a super easy way to serve halloumi. You can pop everything in the same tray and just bake!
Make sure you keep an eye on your halloumi though – if it is overcooked and it can get very crunchy, and loses its awesome texture.
If you want to fry up your halloumi, try our fried halloumi with crushed nuts recipe.
One good thing about halloumi is that, if you have a good non-stick frying pan, you don’t have to use oil to fry it as the cheese crisps up nicely on its own!
Asparagus tips on asparagus tips
Asparagus is in season at the moment so we are making easy asparagus recipes left right and centre. One of our all time favourite asparagus main dish recipes is this creamy asparagus risotto.
When done well, asparagus is flavourful, crunchy and delicate, and pairs well with so many different ingredients. Asparagus and halloumi is a great combo!
But how to make sure your asparagus is as tasty as it gets? We’ve found a few tips for preparing asparagus that are pretty nifty.
For example, one way you can determine how much of the stalk to chop off is by gently bending your asparagus. You should be able to feel where it wants to break.
You should also take care to wash your asparagus well before cooking. Dirt and grit can easily get caught in the tips!
Enjoy trying your new favourite roasted asparagus recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Rinse quinoa and add it to a medium-small pot with salt to taste and vegetable stock over high heat. Once the liquid boils, turn heat to low, put a lid on, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 13-15 minutes. Remove from the stove and allow to rest with a lid on for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.½ cup quinoa, 1 cup vegetable broth, Salt to taste
- Meanwhile, remove the woody base of the asparagus stalks, slice the halloumi into ½ inch thick slices and cut ½ a lemon into thin slices. Reserve the remaining lemon.11 oz asparagus, 3 oz halloumi or paneer cheese, 1 lemon
- Mix the juice of the remaining ½ lemon, honey, olive oil, thyme/rosemary, 1 tsp water and onion powder.2 tsp honey, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp rosemary, fresh, 1 tsp onion powder
- Place asparagus, cherry tomatoes and halloumi in a baking sheet and drizzle the lemony seasoning. Generously season with salt and pepper. Toss a little to coat more evenly. On top of the veggies lay the thin slices of lemon.8 oz cherry tomatoes
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes have burst and their skin is wrinkled. Then put the top grill or broiler of the oven at the highest temp, place the baking sheet on the highest rack of the oven, and allow the veggies and halloumi to get golden brown for about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with a side of quinoa, scraping the sauce and bits and pieces remaining in the baking sheet on top of the veggies.