Vegan Mushroom Stew with Coconut
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
This vegan mushroom stew is best described as a mushroom stew meets a lentil coconut curry recipe. It can be served with flatbreads or brown rice!
At just 592 calories per serving, which includes 23g protein, 13g fibre and only 13g fat, you’ve got yourself a healthy and filling meal, perfect to incorporate into a weight loss meal plan!
How to make mushroom stew
This lentil mushroom stew recipe takes only 37 minutes to make, so it would be great as a weeknight dinner.
What’s more it only uses 1 pan, which saves on washing up!
You prepare this dish with coconut milk, which is what makes it so creamy. The coconut milk stew sauce is flavoured with curry powder, paprika, cumin, ginger and garlic.
The result is a fragrant, creamy, thick lentil mushroom soup/stew, with a sweet, nutty coconut base, coating the delicious fried mushrooms and lentils.
Light, healthy, and weight loss friendly!
We consider this to be a very healthy mushroom coconut stew, which is also good for weight loss!
We used low fat coconut milk to keep the amount of fat per serving relatively low, but not non-existent (some fat is necessary for a healthy body, we just aim for less saturated fat!).
That choice also means the calorie count is lower than if we had used full fat coconut milk, which is good for anyone trying to lose weight. If calories and/or fat intake is not a consideration, then feel free to make it with regular coconut milk for an extra boost!
The lentils add a kick of plant based protein to this vegan mushroom stew. Protein can be hard to come by in a vegan diet if you don’t know where to look. Introducing plenty of legumes into your diet is a sure fire way to make sure you’re getting all the protein your body needs.
When a vegan lentil stew is served with brown rice, then the combo of rice and lentils provides a source of complete protein – containing all the essential amino acids, something most people only associate with animal products!
However, we did find that with this specific dish, the rice tended to suck the flavour and moisture of the stew up. So, for flavour, we recommend flatbread, but if you’re really in need of protein then that’s a fun food hack for you!
If you’re not vibing with mushrooms, you should try out our coconut lentil curry soup – all the coconut and lentil goodness, without the mushrooms.
- ½ tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 300 g crimini mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- ½ tsp ginger (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup lentils (red or brown dry)
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 cup low fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 4 flatbreads/pitas (630 g, or 2 cups cooked brown rice)
- Slice mushrooms, onion, ginger and garlic.300 g crimini mushrooms, ½ onion, ½ tsp ginger, 2 cloves garlic
- In a medium-large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, onion and a big pinch of salt. Cook, mixing often, for about 6-8 minutes, until the mushrooms and onions have reduced, are jammy and very golden brown.½ tbsp olive oil
- Turn the heat over to low and add grated ginger, chopped garlic, curry powder, turmeric, cumin and paprika. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the ingredients bloom (you can smell their aroma).1 tsp curry powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp paprika
- Then add the dry lentils and water, and cook for about 18 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and about 1 – 1 ½ cups of water remain in the pot. If the lentils aren't cooked through and your liquid has evaporated, keep adding water until they are soft and you have about 1- 1 ½ cups of remaining liquid.¼ cup lentils, 3 ½ cups water
- Add low fat coconut milk and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cornstarch dissolved in a little water and cook until the stew is thick. Add ¾ tsp of salt and mix. Turn off the stove and stir in the spinach.1 cup low fat coconut milk, 4 oz baby spinach, 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Serve coconut curried mushroom stew with flatbread or brown rice.4 flatbreads/pitas