Kiwis. Small, flightless birds and symbol of New Zealand. Ever tried putting one in a blender? No? Good. You shouldn’t either, it’s probably illegal. But there’s no excuse for not trying this quick and spicy kiwi breakfast smoothie – it’s absolutely rammed with vitamin C and is high in calcium, fiber, protein, iron and potassium.
It’s a great summer smoothie that’s really filling too – courtesy of the porridge oats. Your body will thank you, and the ginger gives the taste a real kick.
Health Benefits – Kiwi Banana Smoothie
This smoothie really is one of the best. One serving contains 36% of your GDA of fibre, which has a myriad of different health benefits – like lowering glucose and cholesterol levels and protecting against heart disease and diabetes (Fantastic Fibre).
A serving also contains nearly a third (32%) of the GDA for potassium – critical for blood pressure control and kidney function (Powerful Potassium).
On top of that it even has less than 300 calories. Combined with the other nutrients included – the only question left is: what are you waiting for?
Spicy Kiwi Banana Smoothie
- 3 kiwi
- 2 banana
- ¾ cup milk (any milk is fine, try soy, almond, coconut etc)
- ¾ cup low-fat yogurt
- 4 tbsp porridge oats
- 1 thumb ginger, fresh
- 1 tsp honey (if you like it that bit sweeter)
- Skin the kiwis – chop off the top and bottom, stand and slice off the edges (not your fingers)
- Peel bananas (a monkey can do it, so can you).
- Chop or grate the ginger.
- Throw fruits, oats and ginger into a blender with the milk and yoghurt.