SEX. Got your attention? Good. Ferrari. Wine. The leaning tower of Pisa. The Colosseum. See where we’re going with this? Yep, it’s Italy week.
And what better way to kick it all off than one of the all time greats – tomato and mozzarella with bread. This classic dish has a real summer feel to it – perfect for a warm, relaxing evening.
Basil (and a glass of red of course) is the key to making this meal a real success – but what to do if you end up with more basil leaves than you can shake a tomato at? Why, make pesto of course! It’s a super simple 5 minute way to use up those spare basil leaves, and means you’ve got another meal ready to go. Just click the link to see how it’s made.
Health Benefits – Tomato Mozzarella Bread
Everybody knows we need calcium right? It helps our bones grow, our muscles contract
and our blood clot (Critical Calcium). One serving of this dish provides over 50% of your GDA – no excuses. It also contains high levels of protein and vitamin C.
NB: This dish is relatively high in fat, so if you’re keeping an eye on your intake then perhaps consider it as a bit of a treat 😉
- 1 large tomato or a good handful of cherry tomatoes. Howie prefers the former, Dave the latter. Choose your side!
- 1 ball/125g low fat mozzarella cheese
- Handful of basil leaves
- Dash of olive oil
- Dash or 2 of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 big slices of rustic or whole grain bread
- Preheat oven then slice the tomatoes and cheese
- Spread a little olive oil on the bread
- Layer the mozzarella and then the tomatoes on the bread
- Chop and add basil, salt and pepper
- Bung in oven for 5 mins or so, or until golden brown with melted cheese
- Put the vinegar on last for the fullest flavour