Easy Homemade Basil Pesto (5 Min, Vegetarian)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Feeling guilty about throwing away all those basil leaves you’ll never use? Well don’t, make easy homemade pesto instead! It’s really easy, takes five minutes and tastes great.
It can even be stored for two weeks in the fridge. And if you’ve just made our tomato and mozzarella dish and are feeling particularly enthused towards Italy then you can place the pesto next to it and pretend it’s the Italian flag. Brilliant huh?
Health Benefits – Easy Basil Pesto
Basil is often called the king of herbs for a reason; as well as being full of flavour and fragrance it’s also stacked with surprising health benefits.
It’s high in vitamin A and manganese, and has been proven to provide protection against unwanted bacterial growth and can even act as an anti-inflammatory too (Brilliant Basil). Who’d have thought it?
- Chop the basil leaves and nuts and place in a large glass.1 cup basil, fresh, 3 tbsp walnuts
- Grate the garlic and cheese (if using) and add to the mixture, along with the salt and pepper.¼ cup vegetarian parmesan, grated, 1 clove garlic, ¾ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- Add the oil and mix well with a spoon. Alternatively you can use a hand blender or food processor to mix everything together.5 tbsp olive oil
- If necessary, transfer to a smaller glass for storing, and pour on a little more oil to seal the pesto.
- Cover in cling wrap and it should keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.