If you’ve been following us for awhile, you know that we LOVE all things easy, healthy, and meat-free. When we find a recipe that fits all three, and is vegan to boot, we can’t help but love it.
That’s why we are bringing you this Smoked Tofu and Hummus Buddha Bowl.
It starts with a base of turmeric rice, topped with lamb’s lettuce, smoked tofu and a hummus dressing. The perfect burst of flavor for your lunch break.
I think the combination of flavourful rice and smoky tofu is pretty hard to beat. But if this combo isn’t quite your style, check out our Guide to Buddha Bowls for different options. We’re sure you’ll find something that hits the spot.
The Magic of Turmeric
If you’re just here for a quick, vegan lunch recipe, then you might be tempted to skip the turmeric in the recipe. I think you should keep it in. Obviously, it’s beautiful, and tasty, but what you might not know is that it’s widely praised for its health benefits.
The most common health benefit associated with turmeric is anti-inflammation, which comes from the curcumin in the turmeric. It has also been credited with preventing heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers, and arthritis, as well as clearing up your skin. However, these benefits are a little less scientifically proven.
Either way, turmeric rice is the perfect, colourful base for this buddha bowl and the health benefits are a nice bonus.
Watch this Buddha Bowl (and a few others) come to life on Youtube.
Smoked Tofu & Hummus Buddha Bowl
- Prepare the rice according to package instruction. Stir in the turmeric and salt. You know, the ratio is 1:2 rice to water. Use cold water, bring to a boil, then let it simmer for 10 minutes with a lid on top. Done
- Dice the smoked tofu. Then set a pan to medium heat, add olive oil and throw in the diced tofu. Fry for roughly 7 minutes
- Wash the lamb's lettuce and finely slice the red onion. Then place both in your bowl.
- In a small bowl add the hummus, lemon juice and water. Mix well.
- Assembling time: add the cooked rice and fried tofu to your bowl. Now drizzle the hummus dressing over it. Season with salt, if needed.