An all-time classic of baked beans and cheese. Brexit shouldn’t have an affect on this one. Surprisingly high in protein thanks to the beans and cheese. Butter/vegan margarine and salt/pepper are optional – and very tasty.
Getting a baked potato just right is rewarding in itself. It’s surprisingly easy to do and the cooking instructions are included in the recipe card below. For more extensive instructions as well as a load more topping ideas, please see our main microwave baked potato post.
- 1 large potato
- 1 cup baked beans
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated (vegan cheese for vegans)
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegan margarine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave the large potato for nine minutes. A medium potato needs seven minutes and a small potato needs five minutes. To add extra potatoes allow an extra four minutes for a large potato, three minutes for a medium potato and two minutes for a small potato. This is using a 1000w microwave – adjust for slightly longer or shorter if yours is a higher or lower power. Don't forget to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times.
- Heat up the beans.
- When ready, slice a deep groove through the middle of the potato in both directions. Repeat the process diagonally.
- Add optional butter, salt and pepper to the potato.
- Pour the hot beans over the potato.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on top.