The German Microwave Baked Potato Recipe
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Efficient, to the point and damn tasty. Butter and salt (or vegan marg) topped with quark (or sour cream). Loved by an entire country.
Getting a baked potato just right is rewarding in itself. It’s surprisingly easy to do and the cooking instructions are included in the recipe card below. For more extensive instructions as well as a load more topping ideas, please see our main microwave baked potato post.
- 1 large potato
- ½ cup quark (or sour cream)
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan margarine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave the large potato for nine minutes. A medium potato needs seven minutes and a small potato needs five minutes. To add extra potatoes allow an extra four minutes for a large potato, three minutes for a medium potato and two minutes for a small potato. This is using a 1000w microwave – adjust for slightly longer or shorter if yours is a higher or lower power. Don't forget to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times.
- When ready, slice a deep groove through the middle of the potato in both directions. Repeat the process diagonally.
- Add optional butter, salt and pepper to the potato.
- Pour the quark or sour cream over the potato.