Sometimes you’ve just gotta try something new. And that’s exactly what this Asian Tofu Salad is all about. How often do you get to throw radishes, pineapple and tofu together? It’s a crispy, crunchy, and colourful mix of appealing foods – and exceptionally healthy to boot!
The dressing is a work of art too – just imagine a bit of oil, maple syrup, lime, spicy sauce and a few peanuts all sloshing around together – what could be better? 😉
Another reason why I had to try out this tofu salad (thanks to Jamie Oliver for the inspiration) was that I was looking for a vegan dish that is high in protein and low in carbs at the same time. You won’t believe how difficult that is to find!
But I was successful: for 450 calories you get 18g of protein and just 37g of carbs! I dare you to show me a vegan dish with similar stats!
Still, I came across a challenge every ambitious vegetarian has to face sooner or later – making crispy delicious tofu. Lucky enough I found it’s super easy!
How to make crispy tofu
All you need is a 400g pack (14 oz) of firm tofu and about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Press out some excess moisture of the tofu block. Then slice it into small cubes, about 1 cm squared.
Heat up about 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat and then add the tofu.
Fry for about 15 minutes. Add some more olive oil if the tofu starts to stick to the pan. Make sure to add some salt too. Stir every three minutes or so.
Patience is a virtue: the tofu starts crispening up after about 10 minutes, so give it the time it needs! Make sure you try them along the way and see if you need to add more salt or let them get more crispy.
Et voila. Perfect tofu cubes!
- 400g firm tofu (one block)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ bunch of radishes
- Half a small cucumber
- A handful of spinach
- A small tin of pineapple (8 oz/ 225g) or ¼ of a ripe one
- For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (or sriracha/equivalent)
- Juice of half a lime or lemon
- Half a chili pepper (jalapeño)
- A small handful of peanuts
- Salt and pepper
- Press out some excess moisture of the tofu block, then cut it into small cubes (about one square centimeter). In a pan heat up some oil at a medium heat and in the tofu goes. Fry for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Multitasking challenge: make sure you stir every now and then (and add some salt) while you prep the rest of the salad. You can do it, bring it on!
- Next up: wash your veggies!
- Slice the radishes.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise in half, remove the seeds with a small spoon and cube what’s left.
- Cut the pineapple into small chunks as well.
- Throw everything into a bowl along with the spinach and bean sprouts.
- Now to the dressing: combine olive oil, honey, sambal oelek (or sriracha, or your favourite spicy sauce), lime juice, salt and pepper and toss it into the salad.
- Get the tofu cubes and place them in a separate bowl. Add them to each salad serving. (If you throw them right into the salad they’ll get mushy quickly).
- Also for garnish, cut the chili and roughly crush or chop the peanuts. Sprinkle them over the salad when serving.
HAVING LEFTOVERS? No problem! You can throw in the bean sprouts, pineapple or radish into this lovely Vegetable Stir Fry or this tasty as Fake Lo Mein.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE: Then you need to check out our Asian Style Pasta Salad too! And while we’re at it, how about this awesomely named Dragon Noodle Stir Fry?