Silken Tofu Vegan Ice Cream – Sweet thang
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Ice cream weather is nearing and this healthy vegan ice cream recipe is ready to make you feel like a happy kid again.
Careful not to get a brain freeze though! It’s difficult to stop once you’ve had a taste.
This creamy vegan ice cream recipe requires only easy ingredients and no special equipment, except a blender. You’ll get a sweet flavour and perfectly creamy texture without the dairy and too much sugar.
How to make vegan ice cream with banana and tofu
The vegan banana ice cream recipe requires some blending and freezing. You’ll have to blend ripe frozen bananas, chopped or sliced beforehand, with the rest of the ingredients and leave the mixture in a freezer overnight.
If you’re willing to make an extra effort, blend the frozen silken tofu ice cream again and freeze until it’s solid. This will give you a smoother ice cream with smaller ice crystals. However it is an extra step that is only necessary if you have the time. The method as noted in the instructions below gives amazing results as it is.
It can also be served as a chocolate pudding or vegan custard if you let it melt a little.
Why we’ve chosen these vegan ice cream ingredients
We want to make banana flavoured ice cream not only because bananas are a-peeling. There are many good reasons to eat this fruit and fun ways to include it in your diet.
One banana (126g) contains 3g of fiber that’s linked to many health benefits, including better digestion. It also has no fat ensuring we make a healthy low-fat vegan ice cream.
If you want more banana recipes, check out these 18 healthy banana recipes.
Silken tofu is a healthy vegan ice cream recipe for protein (4.8g per 100 grams serving) and soft creamy texture. Tofu has many health benefits like lowering cholesterol, improving bone health and managing weight loss.
If your goal is to lose weight, check out our free 7-day vegetarian weight loss meal plan.
I hope this vegan tofu ice cream with banana melts your heart. Share your thoughts in the comments!
- Blend ripe frozen banana, silken tofu, cacao powder, vanilla extract and sugar until homogenous and creamy.11 oz banana, 9 oz silken tofu, 5 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp sugar
- Immediately place in a container with a lid on and freeze overnight.
- Take out of the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Serve 2-3 scoops per person.
- If you have the time, once the ice cream is mostly frozen take it out, put in the blender, and blend completely again. Take back to the container immediately and freeze until it’s solid again. This will result in a smoother ice cream with smaller ice crystals.
- Use very ripe bananas, otherwise you’ll have to add more processed sugar to compensate. Slice or chop them, and freeze them before making the ice cream.
- You can serve this chilled, not frozen, like a chocolate pudding/vegan custard.