Healthy Oatmeal Banana Pancakes – Oat so tasty!
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
We proudly present to you a healthy oatmeal banana pancake recipe, made with oatmeal and topped with a blueberry sauce!
I don’t know about you, but for me pancakes are the ultimate nostalgia food. They remind me of Tuesday evenings as a kid, when my mum would whip up a huge batch, and I would eat at least 6 in one sitting!
This healthy banana pancake recipe is a more ‘grown up’ take on pancakes. We have focussed on making them as healthy as possible, while still being delicious.
How to make oatmeal pancakes
The oatmeal and banana part of these healthy oatmeal pancakes comes in the batter. Instead of making a normal batter with just flour, eggs and milk, you blend oats and a banana in with the rest of the ingredients!
This makes for a thicker, American style pancake, and adds all the health benefits of bananas and oats.
It’s important to stress the importance of using ripe bananas in this recipe, as that is where the sweetness comes from. Unripe bananas can cause the batter to taste bitter. If you only have unripe bananas, we recommend adding a teaspoon of sugar to the batter to compensate.
For the topping, blueberries, lemon and honey come together to create the perfect sweet, tart sauce, alongside a dollop of creamy cottage cheese.
All in 20 minutes! Now that’s what I call some easy banana pancakes!
Weight loss wonders – have your (pan)cake and eat it!
We have made sure that these healthy oatmeal banana pancakes are optimised for a weight loss diet.
We have done this by making sure they are as healthy as possible, because we think that healthy eating is the key to healthy weight loss. No complicated restrictive diet plans, just making sure that everything you eat is giving you as much good stuff as possible.
It is far easier to maintain a slim calorie deficit when your body is being properly fuelled by healthy ingredients!
One serving of this easy healthy pancake recipe with oats contains 397 calories and 13g protein.
397 calories is a good amount for a hearty breakfast, any less than that and you are likely to get hungry soon after! In our vegetarian for weight loss meal plans, we recommend a daily calorie intake of 1500, which amounts to around 350-500 kcal per meal.
The reason we highlight protein is because not only is it super important for the healthy functioning of the body, protein also helps to regulate your appetite. If you eat protein-rich, filling foods, like these healthy banana pancakes, you will be less likely to get hungry between meals and snack on empty calories.
Given that these are probably the BEST banana pancakes ever, we thought we should talk a bit about bananas and how awesome they are!
There is so much good stuff in bananas. For starters, they are rich in two types of fibre that help modulate blood sugar levels and support digestive health.
They also have high levels of potassium which contributes to heart health and blood pressure management.
In terms of weight loss, their fibre content makes them very filling, while also being relatively low in calories and fat!
If you want to incorporate bananas into your diet, try our chocolate banana overnight oats or easy spinach and banana smoothie! Or if you’re feeling adventurous, why not give our delicious banana curry a go!
And finally – you can of course add your personal favourite toppings to these pancakes! Nothing is stopping you from adding peanut butter, or cherries, maple syrup – the list is endless.
But for now, enjoy tucking into some healthy oatmeal banana pancakes!
- Add all the blueberries into a small pot along with the lemon (or lime) juice and the honey.1 cup blueberries, 1 ½ tbsp honey, 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook at medium-low heat, once the liquid boils allow it to simmer and gently bubble for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch, mix and boil the liquid to activate the cornstarch. Immediately after, cool and rest until needed.½ tsp cornstarch
- Blend the ripe banana, egg, rolled oats and water until the oats have been processed into a fine texture.1 medium banana, 1 egg, ⅔ cup rolled oats, ¾ cup water
- Add the flour, vanilla extract, salt and baking powder and blend until fully incorporated.⅓ cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat a non-stick pan (or a normal pan with ½ tsp vegetable oil) and add about ⅙ of the batter (the recipe makes 6 pancakes total). Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.½ tsp vegetable oil
- Cook until the top of the pancake appears to be dry, then turn and cook until the bottom of the pancake has browned.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve oatmeal banana pancakes with honey blueberry syrup and cottage cheese.4 tbsp cottage cheese