How can baking cookies ever be quick? You usually have to get a scale, carefully measure out all the ingredients, caress the dough for ages, cut out little cookies into heart, moon and star shapes and then wait another century ‘til they’re baked.
NEVER EVER would I bake cookies under these circumstances. That’s just not how I roll. But then I came across these Banana Oatmeal Fitness Cookies (that’s what I call them, anyway.)
Ok, they don’t taste exactly like the cookies you get around Christmas time. Instead they are a little more gooey and don’t crumble at all.
But what mostly convinced me was that you can have them ready in 25 minutes including the baking time! No shit.
Probably the most surprising thing about the cookies is that they call for only 2 ingredients! Yep that’s right, and anybody can mix two ingredients.
Though if you want to make them even tastier and/or healthier you can pimp them up with a few add ons like raisins, walnuts or cinnamon. That’s up to you!
It sounds more and more like a sales pitch (it’s not – nobody’s gonna pay me if you eat them), but I have to say one more awesome thing about these cookies.
They’re tasty! Yep, once I’d had the first I finished the rest within an hour.
They’re perfect for hiking trips or other occasions where you need a quick energizing snack on the go. Nowadays I keep them as a quick snack in my backpack.
It must also be mentioned that they’re vegan. No eggs, no milk, none of the usual cookie suspects. Just oats and bananas.
Health Benefits – Banana Oatmeal Fitness Cookies
First I wanted to call them “Fitness Cookies” – because I think these are the only truly healthy cookies that have yet been made by humanity*.
Take oats for example. Not only do they lower your cholesterol levels which in turn helps you prevent developing heart disease or diabetes, but they also energise you with good carbs and nutrients to keep you going for longer during the day (1).
Same with bananas – the favourite fruit among athletes – not only because they contain a decent amount of good carbs (4) but for being the big players in the potassium game.
As you can see, I’m a big fan.
Here’s an example of when I could have done with a couple of these cookies. Sadly, I didn’t have them with me.
Banana Oatmeal Fitness Cookies – for when you’re stuck in rubble 3.5k metres high
So tell me…
- What’s your favourite on the go food?
- Have you ever been stuck somewhere in nature and thought “damn I’m in trouble!” ? If yes, where? I want to go 😀
*I don’t have proof of this 😉
Banana Oatmeal Fitness Cookies
- 2 ripe banana
- 1 cup rolled oats (oatmeal or porridge oats work really well)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F)
- Get a bowl and and mash the bananas until they’re mushy
- Add the cup of oats and any of the optional ingredients
- Stir until everything is nicely mixed
- Put baking paper on the tray so the cookies don’t stick. If you don’t have that make sure to grease the baking tray with butter (or olive oil if you’re vegan)
- To make the cookie shape just grab a spoon and scoop a decent amount from the mixture onto the baking tray like I did in the photo above. It’s super quick and easy.
- Off it goes into the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.