Kat’s done it again! After insisting to Howie and myself that vegan, and therefore eggless snacks are far more than an equal to just your standard veggie ones, she took it upon herself to prove it to be true. And she really did.
These irresistible vegan banana muffins with sweet apple chunks are the real deal – they taste awesome and are on the totally well-behaved end of the healthy spectrum. That’s some pretty sexy muffins.
You’ll be pleased to hear they’re very easy to make too – all you need to do is chop an apple, mix it with the other ingredients, and chuck the resulting eggless mixture into a muffin tray and bake for fifteen minutes. Done!
Healthy Banana Muffins – Know Your Sugar
For obvious reasons, sugar gets a lot of bad press. And rightly so. It causes many problems, not least obesity and heart disease (1). But not all sugar is the same. Taking it from fruits brings many great benefits – it’s the added sugar we need to worry about (2).
So how do we make that work for us? Use bananas to make things sweet! Brown bananas get really sugary and make a great natural sweetener – so sweet in fact they can be used instead of sugar. We use them in several recipes already – our two ingredient pancakes for example – and it works a treat.
A very handy trick is to let a few bananas go brown, then throw them in the freezer. When you need one for a recipe, take it out, let it soften for a bit and you’re sorted. A ready supply of natural sugar.
Before you rush off to try these mega muffins I’d like to shout out over to Christine from Vermilion Roots! She’s started a series asking food bloggers why they started writing about food! Interesting question, and it’s already easy to see that her motives are quite different from ours. Check out her first “Why I Write About Food” post.
- 1 diced washed apple (no need to peel)
- 2 ripe bananas (more ripe = more sweet, bananas going brown are best!)
- 1 cup/125g wholemeal flour
- ¾ cup/75g rolled oats
- ⅓ cup/6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ low/8 tbsp low fat rice milk/coconut milk/soy milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup/brown sugar (good news - if your bananas are really sweet you won’t even need this! Keep a supply of brown bananas in the freezer)
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts (e.g. almonds, hazelnuts)
- Dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F
- Wash the apple, cut out the core and dice (no need to peel ‘cos most of the goodies are in the skin) and throw them into a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the bananas and mash and mix them with the apple pieces in the bowl. Now add all the other ingredients (throw the optionals in at this point too) and mix well (Kat found it easiest with a big wooden spoon but you can also use a hand mixer, or even just your hands).
- Then fill the muffin tray evenly with the mixture and sprinkle some toppings on top for decoration (if required).
- Bake for 15-20 min and enjoy 😀 !!!