Heavenly Halloumi Salad – Curb Your Hunger
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
What did the cheese say to herself in the mirror?
Ok then, if you’ll forgive me, onto the halloumi salad. No more cheese jokes. Not even the one about the explosion at the cheese factory. Which was awful.
De-brie was everywhere and the Swiss riddled with holes. Sorry! I’ll gouda way now.
Ok, seriously, onto the halloumi salad. I know you’re not here to read terrible jokes. Even if they’re awesome.
This halloumi salad is one ridiculously tasty mofo. That squidgy, squashy succulent halloumi goes sooooo well the with slightly salted quinoa and zesty lime. It makes my stomach rumble just to think of it.
This also the kind of dish that is just incredibly versatile.
Not only can it be packed and taken to work (it’ll stop you falling prey to all that rubbish, expensive and ultimately unsatisfying convenience food out there) – it’s perfect for any season, too.
It goes without saying that the lovely lime nods you towards a sunny summer’s day, but it works equally well as a comforting winter food or in the run up to Christmas.
Actually, it’s a great Christmas starter idea (there are more Christmas ideas here, too).
Halloumi salad is also a great choice if you’re looking to eat more healthily.
It packs in looooads of protein, fiber, plenty of nutrients and certainly keeps you feeling full – important to stop us from unhealthy and unwanted snacking.
New Year – New Halloumi Salad
If you’ve ever wondered how to go veggie or vegan successfully as you keep getting setback – check out our Challenges!
Not only is healthy eating and weight loss a happy side effect, it quickly becomes a way of life – without effort.
Dave, tired after two days in our Berlin kitchen studio but proud of our halloumi salad 😀
The 30 Day Veggie Challenge – excels with cutting out meat, weight loss, and introducing stubborn partners and families to a fun and flexible lifestyle.
Of course it’s perfect for those looking to go veggie alone, too. Though you won’t be alone, you’ll be with us… muahahaha!
The 30 Day Vegan Challenge – the same as above but with a focus on cutting out the eggs and dairy, too. It’s a great way to start the new year.
And don’t forget – this doesn’t mean it has to be forever. Start with us and take it one step at a time!
So, start the New Year the right way – join a challenge, enjoy a halloumi salad, and most of all – take care of yourself. Nobody else is gonna do it for you!
For the dressing and salad:
For the cheese:
- 5 oz halloumi cheese (5oz = 150g)
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions with a little salt. We find it best to use double the amount of water to quinoa, and cook until water has evaporated. Take off heat and cover with a tea towel for five minutes.⅔ cup quinoa, ½ tsp salt
Dressing and salad:
- In the meantime, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Give the arugula/rocket a quick wash and shake. Put them into a large bowl.1 can chickpeas, 2 cups arugula
- Mix the juice and zest of the lime with the olive oil. Add the sweet paprika.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 lime, 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Chop the halloumi into bite-size pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes each side.5 oz halloumi cheese
- When the quinoa is ready, combine it with the chickpeas and arugula/rocket. Stir through the lime-oil mix. Serve in bowls with the halloumi on top. Enjoy!