Low Fat Healthy French Toast with Apples
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Have we got a treat for you today – healthy French toast with apples, a breakfast French toast recipe you can’t help but salivate over!
You probably don’t associate french toast with healthy weight loss friendly breakfasts but that’s about to change. Healthy french toast recipes ARE a thing, and we can prove it!
How to make healthy french toast with apples
So how do we make healthy breakfast toast?
We start by drastically reducing sugar and fat levels in the recipe. So long scoops of butter and snowy-white bread! Hello low fat cream cheese and wholegrain bread!
We sweeten the egg mixture with vanilla extract, cinnamon and just a couple of teaspoons of sugar – that’s really all you need.
We don’t use any fat to fry it – make sure your nonstick pan is up to scratch! That said, if you need something to keep it from sticking, a teaspoon of butter is not the end of the world, obviously!
We then add a topping of low fat cream cheese, caramelised fried apples and pumpkin seeds – so you’re even getting some of your 5 a day in there as well!
The cream cheese and pumpkin seeds add some healthy fats and protein, as do the eggs, bringing this dish to a total of 20g protein per serving – which is pretty awesome!
If you want more French toast breakfast ideas, why not check out our vegan french toast recipe.
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
Can I eat French toast if I’m trying to lose weight?
French toast is actually a perfectly viable option for someone who is trying to lose weight (our baked French toast is also testament to this!).
While many sweet french toast recipes would not be weight loss appropriate, this is the exception!
For us what makes a dish ‘good for weight loss’ is not just the amount of calories it contains. It’s what you are getting for those calories!
That’s why we recommend dishes like this – no calories are wasted on stuff like saturated fat and sugar, which are generally unhealthy and won’t fill you up.
Instead we make sure that they are loaded with the right proportions of protein, fibre and healthy fats. The protein and fibre will fill you up, and the healthy fats will help you to absorb all the other good stuff, among other things.
Check out our vegetarian weekly weight loss meal plans for more amazing weight loss recipes like this healthy French toast with apples!
Oh and ps. it’s a super easy french toast recipe – ready in 30 mins!
- Dice the apple and fry in a large pan with a little oil on medium heat. After 3 minutes add the pumpkin seeds. Roast for another 2 minutes. You want to get a lot of colour and caramelise the surface of the apple. Mix to achieve even roasting from most sides. Then add 2 tbsp sugar and water. Mix and cook until the liquids reduce and coat the apples and seeds nicely.1 ¼ cup apple, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp water
- In a wide, flat bowl mix the egg, salt, sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract and milk of choice.2 eggs, Salt to taste, ¼ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 tbsp milk of choice, ½ tsp sugar
- Dip each slice of bread into the eggy bowl. Turn them over with a fork so both sides are coated.5 oz wholegrain bread
- Cook the eggy bread slices on a low heat, turning once so both sides are golden brown.
- To serve, spread toast with low fat cream cheese, top with saucy apples and roasted pumpkin seeds.2 tbsp low fat cream cheese