Breakfast beans and eggs are an absolute classic– simple, cheap and full of good stuff that will fill you up and keep you running.
We’ve taken that classic, comforting dish and gotten creative with it. The result is a healthier version of eggs and beans, which can be incorporated into a weight loss meal plan, if you are looking to successfully (and sustainably) reach a healthy weight.
Our breakfast beans and eggs consist of white beans cooked with softened cherry tomatoes, garlic, thyme and oregano, lightly spiced scrambled eggs and wholemeal toast.
One serving contains 406 calories, 8g fibre and a whopping 24g of protein. Fibre and protein are both vital for keeping you healthy and making you feel full – and you can be sure that these breakfast beans and eggs will give you plenty of energy and help you to cut down on snacking.
This recipe is healthier than most eggs and beans on toast. Eggs and beans are both fundamentally healthy ingredients, but if you use white bread, tinned beans and butter, you are going to be adding a lot of unnecessary sugar, salt and saturated fats to your breakfast.
This recipe cuts down the sugar and salt, replaces saturated fats with unsaturated fats, and uses whole-grains for slow releasing energy!
Why we back breakfast beans and eggs for weight loss!
Together, breakfast beans and eggs are a smashing combination for people trying to lose weight.
You might be surprised that we’d recommend such a hearty breakfast as part of a weight loss – there’s a common (and damaging!) misconception that diet food should be low-fat, low-carb, low-calorie, low-everything… but we disagree!
Eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast might get you some of your 5-a-day, but such a light breakfast will ultimately sabotage your weight loss plans.
You’ll be hungry again in no time and inevitably end up snacking between meals, which is likely to tip you into a calorie surplus. Plus, being hungry all the time does no good for your energy levels or mood – it’s just not sustainable or healthy!
That’s why we fill our weight loss meal plans with hearty filling meals, where all the ingredients are healthy and provide vital fuel to your body! We think about it as maximising the calories you consume, so that you can maintain a calorie deficit without going hungry.
For example, studies have suggested that an egg breakfast keeps you full for longer than a calorie-equivalent carb-based breakfast, and can also help reduce your calorie intake later in the day.
Check out our free weight loss meal plan if you want to see this theory in practice!
So an egg and beans breakfast, a dish full of protein, fibre and other healthy goodies, with barely any simple sugars, is going to give you 406 calories of PURE FUEL which will fire you up until lunchtime!
Bigging up beans!
We are LOVING beans at the moment. They are nature’s GIFT to vegetarians and the possibilities are endless when it comes to cooking with them!
As mentioned above, our beans are far healthier than the tins of baked beans in tomato sauce that you get in the supermarket.
For starters, we use fresh cherry tomatoes, instead of processed tomato purée, so all the nutrients of tomatoes are still intact.
Furthermore, our recipe uses far less sugar. Your standard tin of Heinz baked beans will have 9.8g sugar per serving. Our beans contain only 3g sugar per serving!
Eggs are also pretty healthy, as they contain plenty of protein and crazily eggs contain almost every nutrient you need, including some hard to get ones like Vitamins D and B12.
There are plenty of heart healthy nutrients in eggs, along with carotinoids which help with eye health.
So a healthy breakfast with eggs and toast is beginning to look like a good idea, am I right?
Now you know why you should eat eggs and beans for breakfast, all that’s left to do is get cracking!
Breakfast Beans and Eggs
- In a small pot over medium heat add the olive oil and smashed garlic clove. Cook until the garlic clove begins to brown.½ tbsp olive oil, 1 clove garlic
- Add whole cherry tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme and oregano. Mix and cook until tomatoes are soft and some of them burst open.½ cup cherry tomatoes, ½ tsp thyme, dried, Salt and pepper to taste, 1 tsp oregano, dried
- Add vinegar, water, honey and beans. Mix and cook until the beans are warm. Reserve until needed.½ tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, 3 tbsp water, ½ tsp honey, 1 cup white beans
- Whip the eggs in a medium sized bowl until there are no streaks of yolk or white. Mix in the cumin, black pepper, chili flakes and salt.Salt and pepper to taste, 4 eggs, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp chili flakes
- Add olive oil to an 8" non stick pan over medium-low heat. Add eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet.
- Using a rubber spatula and broad sweeping motions, push eggs all the way around the circumference of the skillet, then across the bottom. Continue to push eggs around and across the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes; they should still look runny on top.
- Immediately divide between 2 plates and sprinkle with sea salt and more black pepper, serve along with beans and whole grain toast.