This particular recipe started as one we were researching for hangover ‘cures’.
With Christmas, New Year and most certainly hangovers looming on the ever nearing horizon, we decided to try and create a vegan and a vegetarian dish that would potentially allay that most horrible of feelings – the morning after.
With this is mind we already made the vegan peanut butter banana sandwich, for those days when anything more complicated becomes an impossible task.
As mentioned, this recipe started as a hangover alleviator. But the baked eggs in spinach and tomato turned into so much more than that – it’s absolutely delicious.
Sure, the spinach leaves add the much needed potassium, and the eggs provide the cysteine (the salt’s there too, don’t worry), but this one is just great for any morning. It’s vegetarian too.
Give it a try and let us know what you think!
If that’s not enough for you, here are some more recipes that could help make you feel a little better:
Both are very easy to make and well worth it!
Baked Eggs in Spinach and Tomato
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Dice the onion and chop the tomatoes (or open tin).
- Mix the onion and tomatoes with the spinach.
- Add everything else and stir up, leaving only the eggs aside.
- Grease the bowl/s with a little olive oil by wiping it round. Place mix into two small ovenproof bowls (or one large) and make a well in the centre of each.
- Crack the eggs and pour into the wells.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- Keep an eye on the egg – when it looks cooked then remove the dishes from the oven, there’s no need to cook any longer. In my oven it takes around 22 mins, in Howie’s, 18.
- Add another dash of salt and pepper to the top.
- Enjoy with nice, crusty bread.