Imagine a meal that’s easy to make, quick, colourful and super nutritious. Sounds like a dream? Well then, the black bean burrito bowl is a dream come true.
At first glance you’ll be captivated by the wonderful yellow, green, black and red in your plate, though this bowl is not only appealing to the eye but also a healthy burrito bowl.
Requiring only 30 mins of your day, this is a great recipe for you to whip up on a busy day (or all the time, if you lead a busy life like me).
If you love Mexican inspired dishes, here are our Top 50 vegan Mexican recipes you might enjoy. 🙂
What makes this black bean burrito bowl nutritious?
Well, let’s break down the ingredient list to give you a better picture of just how nutritious this bowl is:
Black beans – these are the main ingredient in this recipe and rightfully so as they are amongst the healthiest beans out there. The health benefits of black beans are numerous as they contain protein, fibre and antioxidants.
Quinoa – a grain that has really earned its superfood status. It is called a complete protein as quinoa contains all the essential amino acids. Along with that, quinoa is high in fibre which is great for gut health and ensuring the meal keeps us full, and it also a source of iron which is essential for oxygen transportation in our body.
Pineapple – apart from adding a sweet flavour contrast to our black bean burrito bowl, pineapples contain flavinoids which are powerful antioxidants which means pineapples help to support our immune system.
Apart from all the great health benefits offered by the ingredients in our black bean burrito bowl it can be a great addition to a weight loss plan. Its high fibre make up keeps you fuller for longer which is beneficial for weight loss.
If you are looking for more weight loss plans then our weekly plans are for you. 🙂
The cherry on top: Mexican adobo sauce
What completes this amazing black bean burrito bowl recipe is the sauce. This Mexican adobo sauce also used for tacos el paso adds just the right amount of flavour to the tofu and brings this black bean burrito bowl to a perfect 10.
Burrito bowls are really an awesome go to for no fuss meal ideas and that’s why we love them here; if you are keen on exploring more healthy burrito bowl recipes we’ve definitely got you covered. For now have a kick at our wonderful black bean burrito bowl and let us know how it went!
Black Bean Burrito Bowl
- Prepare yogurt sauce in a small bowl mixing yogurt, garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste, and have ready your sliced avocado, sliced onions, cilantro leaves and lemon wedges. Reserve until needed.
- In a small pot over medium heat add the quinoa, broth and salt. Once it begins to boil lower heat to a simmer and cook following the package instructions, until the grains have opened and are cooked. During the final 3 minutes, add black beans to heat them with the quinoa.
- Meanwhile, in a large plate place tofu cubes covered with 2 sheets of kitchen paper or cloth towels. Place another large plate on top and gently press tofu until it has released most of its moisture. Then season with salt and pepper the tofu cubes.
- In a medium sized non-stick pan add the oil. Once it reaches its smoke point add the tofu cubes and brown from both sides. Take tofu off the pan. Then add the pineapple cubes and cook until they are slightly charred. Take off the pan and reserve.
- In the same non-stick pan over low heat prepare the adobo sauce: quickly mix the cold water with cornstarch and add to the pan alongside the chipotle sauce, paprika, garlic powder, honey, salt, apple vinegar, tomato paste, cumin and oregano and mix until everything is incorporated. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the mix boils and thickens. Then turn off the heat and add the tofu again (optionally you can add the pineapple as well). Fold until the tofu is covered with sauce.
- Plate burrito bowl in a deep dish with the tofu, black beans, quinoa, pineapple, onions, avocado and cilantro. Serve with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.