Black Bean Burrito Bowl – A Tastebud Fiesta
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Imagine a meal that’s easy to make, quick, colourful and super nutritious. Sounds like a dream? Well then, the black bean burrito bowl is a dream come true.
At first glance you’ll be captivated by the wonderful yellow, green, black and red in your plate, though this bowl is not only appealing to the eye but also a healthy burrito bowl.
Requiring only 30 mins of your day, this is a great recipe for you to whip up on a busy day (or all the time, if you lead a busy life like me).
If you love Mexican inspired dishes, here are our Top 50 vegan Mexican recipes you might enjoy. 🙂
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
What makes this black bean burrito bowl nutritious?
Well, let’s break down the ingredient list to give you a better picture of just how nutritious this bowl is:
Black beans – these are the main ingredient in this recipe and rightfully so as they are amongst the healthiest beans out there. The health benefits of black beans are numerous as they contain protein, fibre and antioxidants.
Quinoa – a grain that has really earned its superfood status. It is called a complete protein as quinoa contains all the essential amino acids. Along with that, quinoa is high in fibre which is great for gut health and ensuring the meal keeps us full, and it also a source of iron which is essential for oxygen transportation in our body.
Pineapple – apart from adding a sweet flavour contrast to our black bean burrito bowl, pineapples contain flavinoids which are powerful antioxidants which means pineapples help to support our immune system.
Apart from all the great health benefits offered by the ingredients in our black bean burrito bowl it can be a great addition to a weight loss plan. Its high fibre make up keeps you fuller for longer which is beneficial for weight loss.
If you are looking for more weight loss plans then our weekly plans are for you. 🙂
The cherry on top: Mexican adobo sauce
What completes this amazing black bean burrito bowl recipe is the sauce. This Mexican adobo sauce also used for tacos el paso adds just the right amount of flavour to the tofu and brings this black bean burrito bowl to a perfect 10.
Burrito bowls are really an awesome go to for no fuss meal ideas and that’s why we love them here; if you are keen on exploring more healthy burrito bowl recipes we’ve definitely got you covered. For now have a kick at our wonderful black bean burrito bowl and let us know how it went!
- ½ cup low fat Greek Yogurt (or soy yogurt to make it vegan)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ ripe avocado (sliced)
- ¼ cup red onion (thinly sliced or julienned)
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup black beans (canned)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 7 oz firm tofu (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- ¾ cup pineapple (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 sprigs cilantro/coriander, fresh
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp chipotle or Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp apple vinegar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp oregano, dried
- In a small pot over medium heat add the quinoa and broth. Once it begins to boil lower heat to a simmer and cook following the package instructions, until the grains have opened and are cooked. During the final 3 minutes, add black beans to heat them with the quinoa.¼ cup quinoa, ½ cup vegetable broth, 1 cup black beans
- In a medium sized non-stick pan add the oil and set to medium-high heat. Add finger sized tofu cubes and pineapple cubes and let them brown. Season with a little salt. Toss occasionally.7 oz firm tofu, ¾ cup pineapple, 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Meanwhile prepare yogurt sauce in a small bowl mixing yogurt, garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste, and have ready your sliced avocado, sliced onions, cilantro leaves and lemon wedges. Reserve until needed.½ cup low fat Greek Yogurt, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ ripe avocado, ¼ cup red onion, ½ tsp salt, 2 sprigs cilantro/coriander, fresh, lemon
- In a bowl mix together cold water with cornstarch, chipotle sauce, paprika, garlic powder, honey, salt, apple vinegar, tomato paste, cumin and oregano.½ cup water, 1 ½ tsp cornstarch, 1 ½ tsp chipotle or Tabasco sauce, ½ tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp honey, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp apple vinegar, 1 tsp tomato paste, ¼ tsp cumin, ground, ½ tsp oregano, dried
- Set the pan to low heat and add the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens and mix with the tofu and pineapple. Note: if you don't want to coat the pineapple with the sauce, remove it from the pan.
- Plate burrito bowl in a deep dish with the tofu, black beans, quinoa, pineapple, onions, avocado and cilantro. Serve with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.