If you’ve followed us for even a short amount of time, it might have become obvious that I love sandwiches. And now I love sandwiches EVEN MORE as I’ve realised I can put tempeh in them. Mmmmm, tempeh sandwiches!
Tempeh is a relatively new discovery for us, but it’s quickly becoming a very firm vegan favourite.
Not only is it high in protein (click here for a FREE veggie high-protein meal plan), it’s quick to cook, can be made to taste absolutely delicious and is less-processed than most other soy products.
Why a tempeh sandwich anyway?
When I was younger, and even up to my mid-twenties, I ate cheese and ham sandwiches. Soooooooo many cheese and ham sandwiches.
As mentioned in an earlier post, I would calculate to having eaten about 8000 sandwiches in my life, the vast majority being cheese and ham.
After I turned vegetarian I naturally cut out the ham, and made sure I used cheese that didn’t contain rennet. What’s rennet?
It’s an ingredient taken from a baby cow’s stomach and used in the production of many cheeses – it’s definitely not vegetarian. If that’s important to you, please look for ‘artificial rennet’ or ‘microbial rennet’ in your cheese instead.
Cheese sandwiches were never quite as great without ham. Don’t get me wrong – they’re infinitely better as we don’t end up with situations like this – but they were missing something.
It turns out tempeh was the missing ingredient. Tempeh is a really tasty replacement, and very easy to work with. Actually, it’s so good I think we can safely cut out the cheese as well now, too.
If you’ve already tried tempeh then you’ll know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t, this is a good place to start!
A recipe for success!
Not only do we love vegan and veggie foods on our site, we’re quite dedicated to weight loss (FREE meal plan here), sports and exercise as well.
We know first hand how great a well balanced veggie or vegan diet can be with regards to weight loss or physical prowess and we’re determined to share it with the world.
Back to the tempeh sandwich! We couldn’t resist some smashed avocado in here, they’re just so tasty (and healthy!). Really healthy actually, check this out.
So go, enjoy your sandwich, an revel in just how great good vegan food can and should be!
- Slice the tempeh and fry in oil. After a couple of minutes add the soy sauce, vinegar and maple syrup. Stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the dried tomatoes.
- Spoon the flesh out of the avocado and add to a bowl along with the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Give it a mash together.
- Spread the avocado over half the slices of bread.
- Rinse the rocket and lay it on the slices of bread. Add the chopped dried tomatoes.
- When the tempeh is ready, lay it on the rocket slices of bread.
- Place the avocado breads on top. Done!
- You could also fry the sandwich in a little oil after it has been assembled, flipping halfway through, for an extra bit of crispiness.
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.