Ah sandwiches. One of my favourite ever meals. Two slices of bread with something slapped in the middle. Attributed to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, this tasty concoction came about to allow the Earl to eat one-handed in the middle of a 24 hour gambling stint – and I thank him for it (1).
Cheese, ham, beef, chicken, pickle, marmite, chips, crisps, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, cucumber, peanut butter, jam, you name it, it probably went into one of my sandwiches.
I practically lived off them during my late teens and early twenties, and as a conservative estimate I’d guess I’ve eaten around 8000 in my lifetime. I’m not kidding.
I have cut down (a little) now, as my culinary knowledge has grown and I know what other sorts of deliciousness are out there – but when things like this avocado sandwich come along then I tend to relapse and start scoffing away like never before.
I’d say eating 8000 sandwiches does make me a little bit of an expert on them – and this avocado sandwich is one of the best.
And I don’t just mean taste wise-either – this is a nutritious little bastard.
Health Benefits – The Ultimate Avocado Sandwich
Things have come a long way since the Earl’s time, and this avocado sandwich is both a revolution and an evolution in terms of ingredients and nutritional value.
The avocado, especially tasty when mixed with a little salt and balsamic vinegar or lemon, is also responsible for some great nutrient intake.
When eaten in a balanced diet, it’s great because it’s high in mono fats (the good stuff), potassium, vitamin K and much else besides.
Research shows a clear link between good heart health and avocados (2). Mixed with tomato, rocket and perhaps a little cheese like brie, you’ve got a winning combination.
This recipe calls for half an avocado – which means unless you’re making it for two people you’re going to have half an avocado left over.
We hate food waste as much as the next person, so here are a couple of ideas to use up that spare avocado:
As a main ingredient in this awesome Avocado Fitness Smoothie
As garnish for this wholesome Spicy Black Bean Soup
As extra for this tangy Guacamole
The Ultimate Avocado Sandwich
- 2 slices bread (whole wheat)
- 3-4 slices Brie cheese (3-4 slices = about 40g, you can use any cheese you want here really, just check that it uses vegetarian rennet)
- ½ avocado (the other half can be used a smoothie or guacamole)
- 4-6 cranberries, dried (6 cranberries = 10g)
- ½ small tomato (the other half could also be used in guacamole)
- 1 small handful arugula/rocket (1 small handful = 10 g)
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- If you prefer your bread toasted, toast it.
- While that’s happening, cut the avocado flesh into slices (check this video if you’re not sure how to do it)
- Slice up the tomato and brie too.
- Wash the arugula and cut the cranberries in half.
- Assemble everything on one slice of bread and drizzle the balsamic vinegar on top.
- Now just "close" the sandwich with the second slice of bread.
- ... aaaaand you’re done!
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.