The Ultimate Avocado Sandwich – An Unbeatable Lunch
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Ah avocado sandwiches. One of my favourite ever meals. Anything tastes better stuck between two slices of bread, especially some mashed avocado and brie.
I know that avocado toast is all the rage, but hear me out on the joys of an avocado sandwich.
The sandwich is attributed to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich. This tasty concoction came about to allow the Earl to eat one-handed in the middle of a 24 hour gambling stint – and I thank him for it.
I practically lived off them during my late teens and early twenties, and as a conservative estimate I’d guess I’ve eaten around 8000 in my lifetime. I’m not kidding.
I have cut down (a little) now, as my culinary knowledge has grown and I know what other sorts of deliciousness are out there.
But when things like this avocado sandwich with brie come along then I tend to relapse and start scoffing away like never before.
I’d say eating 8000 sandwiches does make me a little bit of an expert on them – and this is one of the best vegetarian lunch ideas out there.
The cranberries are the sugar, the arugula (rocket!) brings the spice, and combined with the brie and avocado, it makes for a vegetarian sandwich that is bursting with flavour.
And I don’t just mean taste wise-either – this is a nutritious little thing.
Tasty AND Healthy
Things have come a long way since the Earl’s time, and this avocado sandwich recipe is both a revolution and an evolution in terms of ingredients and nutritional value.
The avocado, especially tasty when mixed with a little salt and balsamic vinegar or lemon, is also responsible for some great nutrient intake.
When eaten in a balanced diet, it’s great because avocados are high in monounsaturated fats (that’s the good kind), potassium, vitamin K and much else besides.
Research shows a link between good heart health and avocados. Mixed with tomato, rocket and perhaps a little cheese like brie, you’ve got a winning combination.
Easy avocado recipes abound on the internet, but the added ingredients make this avocado sandwich recipe healthy too!
How to make an Avocado Sandwich
Honestly, it’s not too complicated of a recipe. The only real catch is making sure you’ve chosen the right avocado.
The trick to finding the perfect avocado is the stem or the place where the stem was. If you flick the little stem out, and the skin underneath is green, your avocado is perfect.
If the skin is brown, your avocado is overripe. And if you can’t get the stem to come out easily, it’s not ripe yet.
While it won’t work every single time (avocados are finicky beasts), this is a tried and true method to find the best time to eat your avocado.
So make sure you check those stems before building a delicious avocado sandwich!
This veggie sandwich recipe calls for half an avocado – which means unless you’re planning on having an avocado breakfast sandwich and an avocado lunch sandwich, your avocado will go bad.
We hate food waste as much as the next person, so here are a couple of ideas to use up that spare avocado:
As a main ingredient in this awesome Avocado Fitness Smoothie
As garnish for this wholesome Spicy Black Bean Soup
As extra for this tangy Guacamole
What Our Readers are Saying
This is the best sandwich I’ve ever had!! I added red onion and had to use vinaigrette instead of vinegar but this is such a good recipe. Thank you!Martha⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I made the avocado sandwich. Super easy and super quick. Loved it so much !Anushree ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This was SOOOOO good! I think the cranberries really give it that extra special something. I usually put flax oil out on my avocado but I really like the balsamic vinegar too. I made it vegan with some vegan cheese!!Rose Chilibeck ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 slices wholegrain bread (whole wheat)
- 3 slices Brie cheese (3 = about 30g, you can use any cheese you want here really, just check that it uses vegetarian rennet. Low-fat cheese is also awesome)
- ½ avocado (the other half can be used a smoothie or guacamole)
- 4-6 cranberries, dried (6 cranberries = 10g)
- ½ small tomato (the other half could also be used in guacamole)
- 1 small handful arugula/rocket (1 small handful = 10 g)
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- If you prefer your bread toasted, toast it.2 slices wholegrain bread
- While that’s happening, cut the avocado flesh into slices (check this video if you’re not sure how to do it)½ avocado
- Slice up the tomato and brie too.3 slices Brie cheese, ½ small tomato
- Wash the arugula and cut the cranberries in half.1 small handful arugula/rocket, 4-6 cranberries, dried
- Assemble everything on one slice of bread and drizzle the balsamic vinegar on top.½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Now just "close" the sandwich with the second slice of bread. Give it a little squish to stop any naughty bits sliding out…
- … aaaaand you’re done!