Amazingly Quick and Healthy Sweet Potato Soup (30 mins)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
This Sweet Potato Soup is so damn good that not one, but TWO people with peanut allergies couldn’t resist having a bowl after they witnessed it being cooked.
TWO. Sure, they had to take a load of anti-allergy pills afterwards, and probably felt rough for days, but they decided it was worth it.
Because it IS that good.
Before we continue however, we really do NOT recommend trying this recipe if you have any sort of peanut allergy.
Just wanted to put that out there. I repeat, if you have a peanut allergy, do not eat this dish!
Right, now that’s out of the way, let’s crack on.
So why exactly is this dish so good I hear (well, imagine) you asking? It all comes down to three reasons.
1. The list of ingredients. This is one of those dishes where the herbs and spices all compliment each other – they all add their unique spin to the dish. But the best part?
If you don’t have something, just leave it out. It’ll still be delicious.
2. You don’t have to do much. Get all the ingredients ready, chop a few things and chuck them all into a big pot together. Use a hand liquidiser or blender at the end and you’re done.
3. So little to wash up! I hate washing up and will avoid it whenever possible.
This is one of those recipes that requires very little – you’ll probably just have a pot, a knife, a blender and a chopping board at the end. Boom. More time for The Walking Dead.
This sweet potato soup is not just vegetarian, it’s a healthy sweet potato soup too.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Soup – Health Benefits
I could write a page about pretty much all of the ingredients in this soup, but at this time of the year it would be rude not to focus on sweet potatoes.
They’re awesome and contain soooooo many essential nutrients. And the best thing?
The huge amounts of beta-carotene need a little fat to really get the best of them, so it would be worse NOT to add some delicious olive oil/peanut butter to this recipe 🙂
Some side benefits also include a reduction in blood-sugar level spiking, blood pressure and artery hardness (1). Doesn’t sound too bad, does it?
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, red (yellow or red go well but any will do)
- 2 cloves garlic (2 cloves = 1 tsp dried garlic)
- 0.7 inches ginger, fresh (0.7 inches = 2 cm = 1 tsp dried ginger)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large sweet potato (approx 300 g/ 10 oz each; a total of 2.5 cups chopped)
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium if necessary)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (lemon juice can also be used)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lime (juiced)
- peanuts (to garnish)
- ¼ cup cilantro/coriander, fresh (Or other fresh herbs: go a bit wild with them – make it your signature dish by throwing in any and all of the following herbs that you have: basil, parsley, coriander, oregano)
- Dice the onions, bell pepper, garlic, ginger and sweet potatoes.
- Throw the onions into the oil in a pot on low to medium heat. Let the onions cook slowly for about five minutes – they should begin to turn clear.
- Add the bell pepper, garlic and ginger to the pot. If you’re using dried herbs, add them now. Add the cinnamon and cayenne pepper too. Cook for another two minutes and then add the peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato.
- Add a splash of broth and stir well.
- Chuck in the sweet potatoes and rest of the broth, and simmer on a medium heat. If you’re using fresh herbs, add them now. Stir occasionally and after 10-15 minutes check the sweet potatoes are soft (poke one with a knife and it should slide in).
- Season with salt and pepper, maple syrup and lime juice and give another stir. If you used a cinnamon stick then fish it out now.
- Using a hand liquidiser or (blender if you don’t have one), give the soup a blend. That’s it – done!
- Garnish with peanuts and serve with a side if wanted – fresh bread is an obvious choice!