High Protein Black Bean and Corn Salad (10 Minutes, Vegan)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
A man walked into a bar and as he ordered his drink a little voice said ‘Ooh I love your shirt! You look great’.
‘Thank you’ replied the man, looking around and seeing only a small bowl of peanuts on the bar.
Then, in search of a smoke, he wandered over to the cigarette machine, only to receive a hail of abuse as he got there – ‘You’re fat, you’re ugly, I hate you!’.
A little shocked and confused he made his way back to the bar, where the barman apologised profusely.
‘I’m so sorry about that’ he explained, ‘the peanuts are complimentary but the cigarette machine is out of order…’
Whether they admit it or not, everybody loves a nice compliment. They make us feel good, or that our efforts have been noticed.
And that’s exactly what this High Protein Black Bean and Corn Summer Salad is all about.
It’s a really light and simple recipe, but somehow looks like you’ve made a real effort to put it together, and definitely leaves you feeling full.
The sweet corn compliments the mix of spices incredibly well, and the crunchy red and spring onions fit so nicely to the soft couscous and beans.
The lemon or lime give the salad it’s citrusy summer flavour, and it’s great to throw into a box to take on the go, whether it’s to work, a picnic or BBQ or as a post-workout meal.
(btw: if you want to have a similar lunchbox to the one Howie is using then check out this one here.)
Black Bean and Corn Salad – Health Benefits
The compliments don’t end there. Beans and legumes have the best level ratio of protein to fiber of all foods – and the benefits are amazing!
It’s great for the digestive system, blood-sugar level, and of course, heart (1).
One serving of this deliciously and deceptively easy salad provides a big chunk of much needed fiber and protein – close to twenty grams of each!
More than two thirds of day’s vitamin C intake is included as well – and with a nice side bonus of no cholesterol.
- 1 can black beans (kidney beans also work well! 1 can = 15.5 oz)
- ½ can sweet corn (1 can = 1.75 cups/ 15oz)
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions
- ⅓ cup instant couscous (get the ‘just add water’ variety for quickest results. If you have it/like it then quinoa can also be used here)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp chili flakes (less can be more, so scale down if you don’t want it with much of a kick)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped; dried is fine too)
- 1 handful raisins
- Prepare the vegetable broth with boiling water. Then pour it over the couscous in a large bowl. Don’t put too much water in – the ideal water level should be just enough to cover the couscous. You can always add more as needed – it’s much harder to take away excess water again.
- Chop the spring and red onions into thin half slices.
- Chop the garlic (if you’re having it).
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn.
- After 5 about five minutes the couscous should be ready, so throw in the chopped onions, beans and corn.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika powder, chili flakes and give it all good mix.