Nasi Goreng – Indonesian Style Fried Rice
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
For the Nasi Goreng
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, crumble vegetable broth on top of the rice when it’s still hot and give it a good stir).
For the Nasi Goreng
- Slice the onion. Peel and slice the carrot.
- In a big pan sauté the onion and carrots in olive oil on medium heat.
- In the meantime, cut and wash the leek, cut the bell pepper, wash the bean sprouts. Cut or crush the garlic, and throw these ingredients in the pan as soon as you’re done. They only need to cook until they’re a bit softened.
- The bean sprouts and garlic go in last (together) and only need 2 minutes tops.
- Now, add the cooked rice (still on medium heat). Fry the rice for about 3 minutes, stirring it really well, combining it with all the vegetables.
- Add soy sauce and a squeeze of lime to the mix. Stir well for another 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Done!
For the Peanut Sauce and Sesame Seeds
- Throw the sesame seeds into a pan on medium heat without oil and toast until they’re golden brown - about 3 minutes.
- In a pan and on low heat, add the peanut butter, coconut milk, juice of half a lime, soy sauce, tomato paste and maple syrup. Stir and taste. Add more soy sauce, salt, or lime to your liking and bam: you just made yourself a great peanut sauce. Take it off the heat after 2-3 minutes and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with peanut sauce on the side and sprinkle some sesame seeds and optional fried onions on top. Hmmm. Selamat Makan (enjoy your dinner)!
You’ll need one pan, and a large frying pan or a wok. Christine’s pro tip The secret to a good nasi goreng is perfect rice. So, if you’ve got the chance, prepare the rice according to instructions on the package, ideally the night or morning before. Crumble the vegetable stock cube over the rice when it’s still hot and let it rest for at least 4 hours. When you start cooking, the rice should be as dry and cooled off as possible.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?Tag @HurryTheFoodUp on Instagram so we can admire your masterpiece!