There are times when running a website like this is awesome. We ask our great friend circle of chefs for recipes, and we get sent gold. This pineapple fried rice is just that.
Pineapple fried rice is great fun to make, and there’s something cool about seeing the mix of fruit and nuts hit the pan in a savoury dish.
It has a sweet hint to it that’s not overpowering, and if you’re looking for something that’s light and summery but keeps you full and satisfied then this is the right way forward.
If you’ve never heard of it (or even if you have) ‘The Vegetarian Flavour Bible’ is an absolutely immense way of getting your food pairings right.
Although coconut, pineapple and rice is one of the more obvious ones, there are plenty more obscure combos to set the taste buds alight.
It’s also useful if you have a certain ingredient leftover to use up – just check it out in the book and you’ll find loads of great ways to use said ingredient. We highly recommend it.
Pineapple Fried Rice – why we eat it
Aside from tasting great, pineapple fried rice is an easy way of getting an extra portion of fruit into our everyday diet.
Numbers have been revised, and scientists now believe eating ten portions of fruit or veg each day is optimum.
While we’re the first to stick our hands up and say ‘wow, that’s a lot’, it can be done. Particularly with a little planning ahead.
Pineapple is a very handy fruit, especially if those pesky free radicals have been poking their noses in again.
Pineapple is loaded with vitamin C (so much in fact, one portion is 100% of your daily recommended intake), and vitamin C is used as an antioxidant against cancer causing free radicals. You’ll want it on your side.
So, while ten fruit or veg sounds like a lot, if it all tastes as good as this pineapple fried rice, it can’t be that difficult, can it?
Pineapple Fried Rice
- ½ tsp curry powder
- Use leftover rice or cook a new batch according to package instructions.
- Roast the cashews on low to medium heat in a pan without fat until they start to brown, then remove them.
- Roughly chop the pineapple and banana. Dice up the red onion and chilli.
- Fry the pineapple cubes in the pan with a little oil. Add the diced onion. When these are glazed, add chili and banana cubes. After 3-4 mins pour everything in a small bowl.
- Roughly clean pan, fry rice in a little oil for 3-5 minutes.
- When the rice has been roasted, stir in the coconut milk.
- Now it’s time to mix the cashew nuts and pineapple banana sauce.
- Finish of with some salt and pepper and if you like, a dash of curry powder.
- Ready to serve. Don’t forget to garnish with cilantro!
Thank Timo for sending us this kick-ass Pineapple Fried Rice recipe!
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.