Breakfast Egg Burrito – High-Protein to Go
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
We have all the healthiest burrito ingredients wrapped in one delicious egg burrito in this recipe. It’s either an excellent breakfast or lunch idea or a quick grab-and-go meal.
A high-protein vegetarian burrito will work for your taste buds and stimulate natural weight loss. It contains a lot of fiber and protein to sustain you for quite a while.
Our tortilla egg wrap is full of flavor thanks to buttery eggs, melted cheddar, creamy avocado and mild sweet onion. You can serve it with tabasco or chipotle sauce to add some spice and hotness.
Sounds too good to be true? Don’t worry, with weight loss it’s all about portion size in this case – and we’ve covered that for you.
What’s really convenient about this breakfast egg burrito recipe is that you can have the burrito to go if you’re in a hurry. Just wrap it with foil or parchment paper – super easy!
We had you at egg burrito!
A Tex-Mex burrito recipe gained widespread popularity through some interesting events. There isn’t a precise version of how it was created but there are some pieces of actual and folk history of the modern burrito.
The word “burrito” itself means “little donkey”. There is a theory that a man named Juan Méndez, a street vendor, wrapped his food in tortillas to keep it warm and safely transport it on a small donkey.
Another story tells that Ciudad Juárez, also a street vendor, sold food wrapped in a tortilla to school children. He called them his “burritos” (colloquial “burro” – “dunce”) because he believed the children lacked intelligence.
In any case, we’re happy to be able to eat this portable and delicious meal with an immense variety of flavors. Our vegetarian burrito recipe takes in only the most nutritious and tasty ingredients and fillings.
How to make egg burrito?
Making a healthy egg burrito is an easy processes. You’ll just need a non-stick skillet and a stove.
The tortilla toasting can be done directly over a medium-low flame or in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Just don’t burn it; make it slightly brown and puffy in places.
Adding cheddar cheese will add some more protein and a melty texture for the best burrito recipe – yum!
Creating a perfect breakfast egg wrap is easy-peasy – simply fold the sides of the tortilla over the filling, then roll up to enclose.
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
Egg benefits can possibly take ages to explore and never get old! Eggs supply almost every nutrient you need to obtain from a diet.
One egg (and our high protein burrito has two of them) provides about 6.3 grams of protein and 4.8 grams of healthy fat, a suitable balance to assist in weight loss. It can prolong satiety and reduce overall calorie consumption.
No wonder many of our recipes include eggs. Just check out avocado deviled eggs and scrambled eggs with cream cheese – more very worthwhile weight loss ideas.
Also eating a healthy egg burrito will give you vitamins (even the hard to get D and B12) and minerals, thanks to eggs. Although it’s recommended to check the nutritional value of your eggs for Vitamin D as not all eggs contain them.
Egg burrito – only model ingredients
We’re using a whole grain tortilla wrap to enclose the egg burrito and that’s also beneficial. Whole grains are known for various health benefits.
Even red onion and cilantro are here not only for the flavor but to keep you healthy. They promote digestive health and boost the immune system.
Don’t even get me started on avocados! This popular superfood is high in fat and fiber to keep you full longer and control your appetite.
As a result, eating an avocado burrito is such a great idea for weight loss management. Look into our avocado recipe compilation to test avocado benefits with more easy dishes.
What’s in it for weight loss?
If you’re wondering about egg burrito calories, our vegetarian breakfast burrito has 450 calories with 26 grams of protein. High protein food is always a great choice for your diet.
This egg burrito recipe wants to ensure an effortless way for you to lose weight. If you want some more easy recipes, check out our vegetarian weight loss meal plan!
Protein is an essential part of weight loss and weight maintenance.
The minimum Recommended Dietary Allowance of protein is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of your body weight. But we usually encourage a higher protein intake than this because it helps to increase satiety, among other reasons!
An average woman, for instance, needs about 48 grams of protein daily as a minimum. Our easy breakfast burrito with eggs offers 26 grams – about half the amount already!
The protein will fuel your energy and make you feel full with less food. That’s why we’ve created this vegetarian breakfast burrito recipe for your weight loss needs (and all these other awesome weight loss breakfasts too!).
Eating a Tex-Mex burrito is surely a fun approach to weight loss. Turns out spicing it up can boost your metabolism as long as you keep it at bay!
With luck, you will find our high-protein vegetarian burrito very delicious and weight loss friendly. Wrap it up!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 wholegrain tortillas
- 1 oz cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 small tomato (sliced)
- 1 handful cilantro/coriander, fresh
- 1 tbsp red onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp low fat Greek Yogurt
- Chipotle or Tabasco sauce (for serving)
- Salt to taste
- Whip the eggs until there are no streaks of white left. Season with salt.2 eggs, Salt to taste
- Heat a non-stick skillet that has a similar size of the tortilla wrap and melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the eggs and cook them flat and undisturbed (kind of like a crepe) until they are set but slightly runny on the surface. Turn the stove off and add the cheese. Allow to melt on top.1 tsp butter, 1 oz cheddar cheese
- Meanwhile, toast tortilla wrap directly over a medium low flame until warmed, puffy and lightly brown in some places, 5-10 seconds per side. If you only have an electric or induction stove, toast tortilla wrap in a dry skillet over medium-high heat (about 1 minute per side).1 wholegrain tortillas
- Slide the flat omelet on top of the tortilla and sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Top with cilantro leaves, avocado, red onion and sour cream. Fold the sides of the tortilla over the filling, then roll up to enclose. Serve with tabasco or chipotle sauce.1 small tomato, 1 handful cilantro/coriander, fresh, 1 tbsp red onion, 1 tbsp low fat Greek Yogurt, Chipotle or Tabasco sauce
- You can wrap the burrito with foil or parchment paper and have it to go. This recipe is made for one serving considering how the assembly of the burrito is made.
- 450 calories with 26 grams protein.
We hope you enjoy making this easy breakfast burrito with eggs (and why not check out our other egg recipes for breakfast too?)! Feel free to share your breakfast burrito recipes on our Instagram page.
Tasty, quick and easy and high protein…ticks all the boxes for me
Really happy you enjoyed this one Elle!