This cottage cheese and cucumber beauty hails from the north of England. It’s quick, simple and tasty – and the cottage cheese provides a good whack of protein, too.
Getting a baked potato just right is rewarding in itself. It’s surprisingly easy to do and the cooking instructions are included in the recipe card below. For more extensive instructions as well as a load more topping ideas, please see our main microwave baked potato post.
The Manc Special
- 1 large potato
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegan margarine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave the large potato for nine minutes. A medium potato needs seven minutes and a small potato needs five minutes. To add extra potatoes allow an extra four minutes for a large potato, three minutes for a medium potato and two minutes for a small potato. This is using a 1000w microwave – adjust for slightly longer or shorter if yours is a higher or lower power. Don't forget to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times.
- Slice the cucumber thinly.
- When ready, slice a deep groove through the middle of the potato in both directions. Repeat the process diagonally.
- Add optional butter, salt and pepper to the potato.
- Layer the cucumber slices and cottage cheese over the potato.