Christmas is for………………..? If you’re asked that question there are a million replies you might give.
Perhaps ‘family’ or ‘friends’ would top your list. Or maybe you spiritual ones out there would reply with ‘remembering Jesus’ or ‘church’.
Well, just for a short time, HurryTheFoodUp is becoming HurryTheDrinksUp and we say at least a part of Christmas can be dedicated to getting drunk. In style 😉
The Germans know this as well as anyone, and after playing around with a classic mulled wine (or ‘Glühwein’ recipe to be precise) we think we’ve come up with the ultimate Christmas and winter drink. Here it is.
HEALTH BENEFITS – German Mulled Wine
Ok, this recipe might not be the healthiest one we’ve ever created. It’s a hard sell to claim that alcohol is healthy, although small amounts can relax you and relieve stress on your heart. Wink wink.
Anise and fennel also have several medicinal benefits (antioxidants), although this time around we’ll say just one thing…enjoy!
German Mulled Wine
- ½ cup orange liquor (eg. Cointreau)
- Juice the oranges. Throw peel into the bin, no need for that anymore.
- Add all ingredients to one pot and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer on a very low heat until the wine begins to foam a little.
- Put a lid on top and simmer the wine for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add the orange liquor, put the lid back on and turn off the stove. Let it sit for another 3-5 mins
- Serve the wine through a colander or sieve and into heat resistant glasses.
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.