It’s like the famous Trojan horse all over again – but instead of a vicious bunch of hairy, sweaty and smelly soldiers leaping out (much to the surprise of all involved), these Greek Pitas come bursting out with delicious (not to mention much less dangerous) ingredients, perfect as a snack or healthy meal.
Would you really turn down such a gift? Especially as they’re full of iron, important to keep you fresh and focused (1). And stocked with vitamin A and vitamin C, important for your immune system and a whole host of other benefits? Didn’t think so…
If you prefer watching over reading, check out the recipe in the video below.
Greek Pitas (Summer-Loving)
Greek Pitas Recipe. Ready in 10 minutes. High in vitamin A, C and iron. Bursting out with delicious ingredients, perfect as a snack or healthy meal.
- ½ red onion
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (1 cup = ca. 150g)
- ⅔ cup soft cheese (like feta. ⅔ cup = ca. 100g)
- 4 pitas
- 1 handful spinach
- 4 tbsp hummus (to spread)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp oregano, fresh (1 tbsp = 1 tsp dried)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp pepper flakes, red (dried cayenne also goes really well)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (balsamic vinegar or any you have is also great!)
- Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, cheese and throw into bowl.
- Add the spinach.
In a seperate bowl:
Squeeze in the lemon, olive oil and vinegar.
Add the oregano, pepper and salt.
- Mix well and pour over salad. Give it a toss 😉
- Toast the pitas, spread the hummus inside, and fill.
And don't forget - be creative! Add whatever you fancy, or whatever leftovers you have. Olives, sweetcorn and bell peppers all work really well.
Recipe adapted from Cookie Monster Cooking. All props to Ashley! Awesome recipe 🙂
A quick note regarding the nutrition label: one serving is one filled pita.