Sometimes a recipe creation can take many, many attempts – a single, simple looking recipe can go through so much behind the scenes it’s almost unbelievable – amounts are changed, cooking methods and times are altered and even whole ingredients are added or removed. It gets made again and again, taste tested multiple times and sometimes even thrown away completely.
This is not one of those recipes. This red pesto with sun-dried tomatoes and basil was pretty much perfect from the off. Taking inspiration from our green basil pesto and cutting out the cheese, it all just fell into place and we knew we were on to a winner.
Then something else happened. We left it in the fridge overnight before trying it again. And you know what? Holy shitballs batman. It tasted even better! The flavours first infuse then diffuse, and this red pesto became an absolute beast. I might be biased (I am) but this red pesto is far and away the best I have ever tasted, be it homemade, store-bought or restaurant conceived.
What’s more, it’s quick, easy, cheap and vegan. Need I say more?
The Joys of a Good Hand J…Blender
These bad mofos really make cooking easy. If you’re just starting out in the culinary world we have a kitchen essentials list to help you on your way, but no matter what you end up grabbing for your kitchen, a hand blender should be right at the top of your list. So versatile, they can be used for many a style of recipe. Pesto of course, but pancakes, soups, smoothies and spreads will suddenly become second nature.
Even better for blending sticky ingredients (like in this red pesto) is a food processor. These are the heavy duty lads called in when you’ve got a lot on your plate (sorry), or at least need to get a lot on your plate. For high volumes we recommend something like this to handle large portions.
Health Benefits – Red Pesto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes And Basil
Let’s turn the limelight to the king of herbs – basil. Did you know the word basil is actually based on the Greek word “basileus”, meaning king. There’s a reason for that.
If we want to believe the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology then basil may well be useful in treating arthritis. Also, it can help to protect against unwanted bacterial growth and can even act as an anti-inflammatory too (Brilliant Basil)! How does all this help you? I don’t know, but make sure you eat some basil leaves every now and then!
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 4-5 tbsp native olive oil (use less if you use the oil from the tomatoes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- one clean (jam) jar with lid
- Optional: If you want a little more “fire” in the pesto add a chili (red goes great, unsurprisingly) or chili flakes 😉
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor or use a bowl and hand blender. If you don’t have any of those tools try to cut all the ingredients into very small pieces and try to mix and mash them together using a fork or heavy rolling pin.
- Just pour the mixture into the jar and tadaaaaaa! You have your own little jar of lovely red pesto.
- Use it as pizza base, in a wrap, with pasta/zoodles or try in combination with our fantastic vegetarian quesadillas (coming soon) 😀