Red Pesto Pasta (20 Min, Vegan)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Let’s talk less about the pasta and more about the pesto – after all that’s what makes this red pesto pasta special 🙂
Pesto has as interestingly long history – in various guises it can trace its roots back to the Ancient Roman age.
The word pesto comes from the original Genoesepestâ, and it means to pound or crush.
Technically speaking, anything can be called pesto if it’s ground or crushed, but pesto as we know it is certainly the tastiest.
It was traditionally made in a mortar and pestle – hence the name (1).
Modern day pesto is believed to have come from an ancient Roman dish called moretum – a healthy mix of garlic, nuts, cheese, salt and oil. It was also made in a mortar and pestle (2).
Basil only became a well-documented ingredient in as recently as the latter half of the 1800s.
Since then countless variations have been with different varieties of nuts, garlic, oil and often but not always cheese.
Pesto Rosso, or red pesto, which is what this pasta meal is based on, is relatively new and the primary ingredient is tomato.
Back to the red pesto pasta…
So why are we telling you all this? Well basically, if it’s been enjoyed for a couple of thousand years then it can’t be bad, right? 😉
In a nod to our experimental pesto-loving ancestors, we’ve created this simple yet delish red pesto pasta dish – we’ve added a handful of rocket for the nutritional benefits (hint: rocket rocks!), and we couldn’t resist throwing in a few cherry tomatoes for that juicy, sweet crunch at the end.
- Boil that pasta o’yours.7 oz pasta
- Dice the onion and fry it with olive oil in a pan on medium heat.1 onion, 1 tbsp olive oil
- While that’s cooking put the seeds in a frying pan and fry without oil. They’ll only take a minute or two so don’t let them burn!1 handful sunflower seeds
- Drain the cooked pasta then add it into the pan, mix in red pesto, spinach/arugula and a good handful of diced cherry tomatoes.3-4 tbsp red pesto, 1 handful spinach, 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- Add a few splashes of water if you want it a bit creamier.
- Depending on what you want add rennet-free cheddar cheese for taste, or leave it out for a vegan version.
- For serving add a couple more cherry tomatoes as a garnish, and sprinkle over the sunflower seeds.
- Enjoy 🙂