What’s the next best thing to someone bringing you breakfast in bed? Collecting a ready made breakfast from the fridge, obviously!
These delicious, Vegan Overnight Oats in a Jar only take a couple of minutes to throw together, then ‘cook’ themselves overnight. Well not so much as cook, but soak I suppose. Whatever you want to call it, they’ll be ready for breakfast.
Last month we posted this ‘How To Make Overnight Oats in a Jar Tutorial’ along with 28 Tasty Recipe Ideas from around the globe, and we also promised we’d follow up with some of our personal favourites. Without further ado, here’s Kat’s…
Just grab a (clean!) jam jar or equivalent, and begin by putting the oats and chia seeds in the bottom. Add the almond milk and yogurt and give it a stir. That’s it for now. Bung it in the fridge ‘til morning.
When it’s ready for the eating, throw in the chopped almonds, berries and a spoon of maple syrup, give it a stir… and you’re done! That’s it! Three minutes of prepping and you’ve got an amazing breakfast ready to go.
You can even do both steps at the same time the night before to save even MORE time, though the almonds won’t be quite as crunchy.
Health Benefits – Vegan Overnight Oats in a Jar
This dish contains a bit of everything.
Porridge oats themselves are excellent blood-sugar stabilisers and have well documented effects on diabetes patients (1). They’re a great way to start the day as they lower cholesterol and greatly reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
On top of that, the sheer amount of fiber in the dish (61% of the RDA!) adds to these diabetes and heart disease benefits (2), as well as keeping you feeling full for longer – which can help with weight loss or staying slim.
Chia seeds deserve a whole book to themselves, but for now I’ll limit them to highlighting the huge amounts of omega-3s, protein, fiber, calcium, manganese and loads of other nutrients! (3).
And finally – this lovely vegan breakfast uses no animal products at all – an incredible bonus for all involved (or rather not involved).
- One clean jar with lid
- ½ cup rolled oats (about half the jar)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp soy yogurt (vanilla is delicious)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- ½ cup of fresh or frozen raspberries
- You can use any milk you like - soy, or rice, for example, or whatever you have to hand
- Feel free to swap out the berries for a banana, or any other fruit you fancy really!
- Put the oats, chia seeds yogurt and the almond milk into a jar. Stir until everything is mixed together nicely. Pro tip: If you have a big enough jar you can also just close it and shake. Boom!
- Then off it goes into the fridge for the night (or for at least six hours).
- The next morning add a little more almond milk to loosen up the mix.
- Next, just mix in the raspberries, syrup and chopped almonds and voilá - breakfast is ready!
- Bón appetité
If just overnight oats are your thing, go to our post “How to Make Overnight Oats in a Jar Tutorial” for 28 more overnight oats recipes!