First things first – let’s be honest. This broccoli cheese casserole hasn’t actually won any real awards – yet. But that’s because we haven’t entered it into any competitions.
If it had entered a competition, I’m pretty sure it would have won. I have to grab your attention somehow, right? This is a casserole that needs to be seen (and eaten).
That grilled cheese, those coated and roasted veggies. AMAZING!
There are a lot of casseroles out there, many involving cheese and broccoli (and other ingredients besides). That means a lot of competition to be even spotted by your gazing eyes – and yet here you are.
And now that I do have your attention, I want you to stay – or at least jump right down to the recipe and start making this gorgeous thing.
Raise your eyes slightly and you’ll see a little button at the top that says exactly that: ‘jump to recipe’. Click that and you’re on your way.
If your eyes are still drifting over these next words then clearly you want to know more about this casserole – probably just how awesome it is, and exactly how to make it.
Tips on cooking a broccoli cheese casserole
First up – use the biggest mixing bowl you have! As you can see in our video for the broccoli cheese casserole, even this one wasn’t big enough.
The bigger the mixing bowl, the easier it is to ensure pieces of veg are covered in the nice, creamy sauce. And that’s exactly what you want – the veg will taste better and cook more evenly.
To peel or not to peel – that is the question. Unless I’m making mash, I’ll leave the skin on the potatoes. There are a few extra vitamins and nutrients in and next to the skin that are worth grabbing whenever possible.
The exception to this rule is if the skin is really blemished and/or horrible. If it is, give it a peel.
And finally – I’ve noticed a difference in cooking this casserole in different ovens. I’ve found the best temperature so far to be about 200°C/390°F. When you go to add the extra cheese near the end (as explained in the instructions) – check the broccoli.
If it’s starting to look a little dark then cut the temperature to 180°C/360°C and you should be grand.
And finally – enjoy! This is a simple casserole (a meal cooked in an oven bowl) that just needs a little prepping – after that the oven does the rest of the work for you. So kick back and relax.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 8 medium potatoes (1.5 lbs = 700g)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3.5 cups broccoli florets (11 oz = 300g, frozen also works)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Grab a casserole form. Set the oven to 390°F/200°C.
- Peel the potatoes, if they are already a little older. If they’re fine, wash them and cut them into dice-sized cubes.
- Cut the bell pepper into similar sized cubes.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets.
- Put all veg into the casserole form. Add olive oil, salt and give it a good toss.
- Now add the creme fraiche, vegetable broth, thyme and half the cheddar to the form and mix well.
- Off it goes into the oven for at least 45 minutes. Depending on the potatoes it can take longer.
- Roughly, after 35 minutes add the rest of the cheese. Can be turned down to 180/360 if broccoli is burning
- Pierce a potato cube with a fork to see if it is tender. If yes, the casserole is ready.
- Finish off with a few cracks of pepper. Enjoy!