It’s that time of year again. January is here and nearly gone, bringing it with it hopes and dreams for the new year, along with promises and (broken) resolutions – and everywhere you look the masses are there, shouting about the newest diet fad, the best sit-up regime or the latest superfood.
It’ll die down, it always does. History has a habit of repeating itself. But if you’re serious about eating better and looking after your body, don’t join in. Don’t make short term pacts that are unrealistic and punishing – you’ll just end up hating food or yourself.
Adapt. Eat a little healthier every day. To put it bluntly, cut out the shit. Eat some real food.
Take a look at this melted feta and veggie bake. The taste is taken care of – we don’t post rubbish meals. The feta is the most unhealthy part – and 75g per serving isn’t exactly terrible anyway.
After that – well, you’re eating veg. Delicious roasted veg that’s cooked soft and loaded with flavour. It’s a filling (and did we mention tasty?) meal that you can feel great about eating.
Health Benefits – Feta and Veggie Bake
Where to start with this one? The whole meal packs less than 500 calories, so you’re already on to a winner there.
It’s ridiculously high in vitamins A, C and B6 (what else would you expect from a load of veg?) so that means you can expect stimulated cell growth and production, more white blood cell activity (A is for Awesome), and healthier teeth, skin and bones to name but a few (C is for Caring).
If that’s not enough for you, this meal also packs 15g protein per serving. That’s really high (worth two eggs or so!) and if you’re getting into shape and want the best for those muscles, this is the way to go.
And the icing on the cake? It’s got basil in it! We’re huge fans of basil here – check out this page for more health benefits and another basil recipe.
Dave, Howie and Kat
A massive shoutout goes to Kat (Dave’s better half) for all of her hard work, trial and error (and eating of course) in developing this recipe. Thanks Kat!
- 150g feta cheese or equivalent
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp parsley or your favourite herbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red or white onion
- 1 spring onion
- 1 bell pepper (your fave colour)
- Good handful of sweet tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño
- Handful olives
- 1 chilli pepper
- Handful mushrooms (shudder)
- You can throw on pretty much whatever veg you fancy/need to use up
- A box of frozen mixed herbs is always handy to have lying around
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F)
- Cut the cheese into two equal, thin pieces and lay in baking tray.
- Layer half the herbs over the cheese
- Chop all veg (and garlic) into small pieces and chuck in a bowl
- Add the oil and herbs and mix well
- Place the veg mixture on and all around the cheese
- Bake for 20 mins or until veg becomes soft