This vegetarian tomato and spinach pasta is creamy, filling and packed full of vitamins and protein. Not only that, but it takes just 25 minutes to create and is sure to delight even the pickiest eaters in your family!
If you’ve been following our blog for a while now then you’ll know we make videos for each of our recipes on our YouTube Channel.
Howie is the star of the show, but I recently decided he needed a little help.
So after a lot of hard work behind the scenes I managed to persuade an extremely special guest to come and give us a few pointers…so without any further ado – here’s what Gordon Ramsay had to say about our latest video! Check it out below!
Health Benefits – Tomato Spinach Pasta
This one pretty much writes itself – just check out that nutrition card! It contains more than a day’s vitamin A GDA, and ridiculously high amounts of vitamins C and B6, iron and manganese.
So what can these vitamins do for you?
- Vitamin A supports eye health and stimulates white blood cell growth.
- Vitamin C neutralises free radicals and improves skin and bone conditions.
- Manganese controls blood sugar levels.
- Vitamin B6 supports immune function and brain health, and maintains normal levels of homocysteine for heart health.
Put all that together and what do you have? One hell of a meal!
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Pasta Every Time
Whilst the star of this recipe is the creamy spinach and tomato sauce, making sure you have a well cooked pasta to add it to will take it to the next level. Here’s our tips for getting a tasty and beautifully textured pasta every time:
Make sure to use a big enough pan – this allows the pasta enough room to cook evenly and reduces the risk of the water boiling over.
Add a splash of oil – to stop the pasta from sticking together.
Throw in a pinch of salt – this will season the pasta and add flavour. Salt is best added when the water is boiling, just before adding the pasta.
Use a timer and test, test, test – after all, nobody likes overcooked pasta! This is especially important if you’re trying to achieve an al dente texture.
Don’t rinse it – this will also rinse away the starchy water that helps the delicious spinach and tomato sauce from coating the pasta evenly.
What Our Readers are Saying
Just made this tonight and it was DEEEEE-Lish! 🙂 Super easy and fast and good for you. This will become a classic for me Im sure, thank you very much 🙂Lisa ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wowwww this was quick yet amazinggggg! Thanks so much !!Zeeze ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Good damn, never made pasta in my life before. Made it, ate it to my hearts content.Meet Shah ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Looking for other healthy dinner ideas? Check out our list of vegetarian main course recipes for some inspiration. If you loved this pasta dish, our vegan chickpea curry and creamy broccoli pasta are also sure to be weeknight dinner hits.
Easy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 small tomato (4 fresh tomatoes = 1 can of diced tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-4 tbsp Greek yogurt (or cream cheese, if you want to be naughty)
- 1 big handful spinach (1 big handful = 200g, frozen spinach works too)
- ¼ cup hard cheese, grated
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- While the water is heating, dice the onion, grate or chop the garlic, and chop the tomatoes (if not using a can).
- Add the pasta when the water is boiling (add salt and a small amount of oil for taste).
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes. Note: if you use fresh tomatoes, the sauce will get a little runny. Only if you let it stand for a day will you get this creamy texture we’re looking for.
- Add the spinach.
- Add the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and the greek yogurt. Stir until both are dissolved into the sauce.
- Now add the hard cheese.
- Drain and add the pasta. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally for 1 minute. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
- Dinner is ready!