This jackfruit burger is vegetarian pulled pork – and we love it.
Everybody has their own reasons for giving up meat, and I’ve heard some pretty stupid counter-arguments in the past.
The best of which is ‘if you think meat is so bad then why do you try to make everything taste like it?.
Ha! As if I stopped eating meat because of the taste.
No, obviously – to me at least, I stopped eating because of the needless deaths of animals and awful meat industry.
I always liked the taste of many meats, but not enough to continue supporting the killing of our animals for our food – not when we know we can do without it, and do it healthily too.
Since becoming vegetarian many years ago, there are certain types of food I like for.
The first, and most predominant, finding meals that don’t involve meat, and never have. By this, I mean things like vegetable curries, or chickpea salad. Tangy wraps or….
The second is meals with meat ‘replacements’. This could natural vegetable alternatives like we have in this chilli sin carne, or slightly more processed foods like the sausages in the vegetarian toad in the hole.
The same goes for this jackfruit burger – pulled pork is not something I want or will ever eat – but I do like the taste. And if I can make a great vegetarian version – damn right I’m going to eat it!
The taste and texture are similar to the real thing, and if you’ve been craving pulled pork but want an animal friendly version then this jackfruit burger is going to hit the spot.
And where do I find my jackfruit burger?
Well, we’ve found the easiest way of using jackfruit is by buying it pre-packed – either in tins or vacuum-packed. It lasts for ages that way – and is a lot easier than getting it fresh.
Many flavours are also available – curry and Mexican, for example. For these burgers I’d recommend good ol’ plain/regular as we’ll get our flavour from the BBQ sauce, but whatever floats your boat.
That may change over time – vegetarian pulled pork is rapidly gaining popularity and we’re certainly doing our best to inspire more people to eat it instead of the meat version. And we’ve mentioned why already 😉
Perhaps then jackfruit will be readily available fresh – for now pre-packed is best. Enjoy!
Jackfruit Burgers – Veggie Pulled Pork
- Heat up the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Unpack the jackfruit and chop any large bits. Don’t worry about making them too small, they slowly fall apart while cooking.
- Fry the jackfruit for about two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you prefer fried onion to raw onion as relish, then throw it in with the jackfruit now.
- Add half of the BBQ sauce and fry for another three minutes.
- Thinly slice the onion, gherkins and tomato as relish.
- Chop the lettuce.
- Give the burger buns a quick toast under the grill or in a toaster. They won’t need long so don’t let them burn!
- To serve: 1 tbsp BBQ on the bottom of one bun. Layer over some lettuce, then ½ of the fried jackfruit. Next come the raw onion, gherkin and tomato. Add another dollop of sauce on the top half of the bun – and pop it on top. Done!
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.